Goose Island 312 Clone Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was very close with the American Ale 2 yeast. I am about a week away from tasting the second batch with the English Ale yeast.

Hi there! I'm using BrewSmith to add the ingredients and then adjust for my efficiency (75%)and equipment...doing a 5 gallon batch just divided v3 recipe in half.

2.5 lbs. German 2-row Pils
2.1 lbs. Belgian Wheat Malt
1 lbs. Belgian Munich
0.15 lbs. Acidulated Malt
1.75 lbs. Torrified Wheat

I'm confused on the 1 lbs. Belgian Munich. I find Caramunich Malt in BeerSmith but even at 1lb of that it has a 56 SRM color to it which makes this beer darker shooting it up to 8.7 on the SRM scale.

What am I missing here, is it not Caramunich Malt?

Another variation of the 312 clone I found is simply using
5lbs of Pale Malt (2 - row) US and 3lbs of White Wheat Malt

Not sure which would be more true to 312.

My recipe was not close to 312. I have not revisited this recipe since the first take. I believe others have made some progress if you read through the thread. Good luck!

I think an 80/20 of pale and torrified wheat was dead on for me. I'm doing a 10 gal batch this Friday.

20lb pale
5lb torrified
Gives me a SRM of 5.6

1oz of liberty and 2 oz cascade spread throughout to hit the ibu's (17.4)
London ESB 1968 for 5 gal
The other 5 gal I'm adding 5lbs of fresh, juiced Michigan blueberry juice to the secondary. Just a dry yeast for this 5 gal.

The last batch I made was really close, I'm thinking this will be dead on, if not better. Lots of carb helps get it close too.

Hi, I'm researching 312 extract clones and wanted to know how this worked out for you? Did you end up with something close? Have you tweaked it since you posted last? I am a Chicagoan living in the SF Bay area and I really miss 312, though we are not lacking for good beers out here. Nothing like it on a summer day! I'm planning on trying it sometime in 2012.

Thanks!

Just a quick question. And I don't want to hijack this thread. But has anyone cultured the yeast at the bottom of a bottle of 312? I'm thinking of using the 80/20 2 row/torrified wheat and using the 312 yeast at the bottom of the bottle to ferment out.

Do you think they use a different yeast for carbonation or do they use what they pitch with?

Hi, I'm researching 312 extract clones and wanted to know how this worked out for you? Did you end up with something close? Have you tweaked it since you posted last? I am a Chicagoan living in the SF Bay area and I really miss 312, though we are not lacking for good beers out here. Nothing like it on a summer day! I'm planning on trying it sometime in 2012.

Thanks!

It's pretty close, but better IMO. A lot more to it. If you change the ratios to get it back down to 4.7%, it should be lighter and pretty exact.

Just a quick question. And I don't want to hijack this thread. But has anyone cultured the yeast at the bottom of a bottle of 312? I'm thinking of using the 80/20 2 row/torrified wheat and using the 312 yeast at the bottom of the bottle to ferment out.

Do you think they use a different yeast for carbonation or do they use what they pitch with?

My guess is that it would be a different yeast for bottling.

I'm brewing a 312 clone tomorrow.

Does anyone have a recommendation for mash temperature? I am planning on brewing between 148-156 degrees. Also, any recommendations for length of the mash brew? My Recipe is below

Recipe:

Malt & Frementables:
3lb American White Wheat
8lb American Two-row Pale

Hops
boil 60 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 10 mins 0.5 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 1 min 0.1 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 1 min 0.5 Liberty pellet 4.0

Yeast
American WYeast

Other
15 min 1 tsp Irish Moss

Baudler...I noticed you have two different 815 Suburban Wheat recipes on hopville. Which one came out tasting more like 312?

I recently had this beer in chicago and i'm working off of Baulder's clone on hopville clone. Any suggestions what mash temp and fermentation temps to aim for?

I was thinking of mashing around 152 (not really sure i want to mess with a decoction). Also, i have no real recollection of how fruity the beer was and i've never used the London ESB yeast, so i don't know if i should aim for the colder side or the warmer side of the fermentation range.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks

Anyone come up with anything closer to 312. Tried a few batches and so far no go side by side. Not a bad beer just not really a clone.

Back