Newbie and very confused with automation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panzo

Reaction score
Hello All,
i m new to home brewing my first batch kit is under fermentation mode ;)
i m looking to start collecting my set up in order to move on MX or BIAB but i would like to make an automation like Craftbeerpi is there anyone who can help and explain which setup is better (electric or gas) ? a hardware list ?

If you are new to this. Im not sure some crazy automation setup is really where you want to go already.

Better is a subjective word... there are a lot of factors that determine what is best for you. And in terms of a hardware list.. thats also highly dependent on multiple factors.

What kind of power do you have available, are you brewing inside, outside, in a garage, a deck, etc.

I think its best to identify what your goals are first and then determine what is going to work for you.

I'd answer these questions:

• Where do I want to brew?
  • What Batch Size do I want to brew
  • How much power (amps) do I have avaliable where I want to to brew
  • Whats my budget
  • What level of "automation" do I want

Hello MrShake ,
let me answer the questions:
  • Outside i think that is better to brew.
  • Maximum 30L
  • Power that i have availiable 230V and i can connect the plug into the kitchen where is available 20A
  • Budget ... "hmm big word" i dont know but i think for a project like this you can start with 500 euros to 800 Euros
  • Level ... good question .... i want the following automation system... : One Kettle (BIAB) which can keeps constant temperature and to alert (with a buzzer) to initiate on the next stage of the process.

Well.. your goals are all reachable!

If all you want to do is maintain a constant temp, then your options are VERY open. Anything from a simple PID with alarm to a BrewTroller would serve that purpose.

Cool :) i thout to make an electric automation system based on craftbeerpi.
My questions are for max 30L how many L kettle?
and how many KW heat element?
for theat element need 20A?

You are probably going to want like a 60l kettle for BIAB to have plenty of room for grain
The more watts for the element the better.. a 4500watt element would use just over 19 amps, so thats cutting it close. Maybe a 4000 watt

Thanks alot for your helpfull information MrShake i will look for this setup :)

Back