Lager Head Retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion2598

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have brewed many batches of ales and all of them seem to have a good head of foam and good head retention. When the head finally does subside, it just disappears into the beer. However, I am now drinking my 5th lager, and I have noticed that all of them seem to have this weird problem with head retention. At pour, the foam appears normal but then quickly subsides. But, instead of just disappearing into the beer, it leaves this thin, almost clumpy foam/layer on the beer.

At first I thought it might be the grain bill differences, but other than some munich malt, I don't see a whole lot of difference from some of my ales. This last batch was a decoction, but not of my lagers were, so I don't think that is the culprit.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks!
Greg

WBC said:
Can you show a picture?
Let's see if this works.
lager_head.jpg

That just looks like what's left of a finely textured beer head with some albumin. That's not unusual at all, especially if you're using Pilsner malt (or it's Vienna or Munich cousins).

TL

Back