Blow Off Tube for 6 Gal Better Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcoz

Reaction score
Is there a good cap somewhere for a blowoff tube for a better bottle?

I asked More beer and my LHBS and neither had a decent solution for that.

Northern brewer sells one with bung for 6.99, but I don't know how to link internet stuff. Its under brewing equipment/fermenting.

Pez.

I don't know how to link internet stuff.

You copy the URL from your browser when you are viewing the item you want to share, then above the posting text box thre is a small icon of a globe with a link right below the smiley face icon. Click it, paste the URL hit enter... DUN

Edit:
Apparently the globe with a link is only below the smiley for a full/advanced post, otherwise its between the "A" with the black line under it and the little icon of a mountain. If you mouse over the globe icon with a chain, it will say: "Insert Link"

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm a computer Troglodyte. I'm not even sure what a URL is, or what kind of browser I have......My 12 year old helps me when I'm stuck.

Pez.

Alright I have a few ideas to try then, thanks for all the replies!

These are all 6g Better Bottles. Best way I've found is to use these rubber bungs and jamb a piece of tubing in the hole. You'll figure it out.

Blowoff_City.JPG

These are all 6g Better Bottles. Best way I've found is to use these rubber bungs and jamb a piece of tubing in the hole. You'll figure it out.

Blowoff_City.JPG

That's how I do it, too!

The lonely one in the middle looks like it's ready to blow the airlock!

passedpawn said:

Yeah, I'm going to do that. I just like the bigger blowoff tubes -- used the big hose when I used a glass carboy, but I just can't deal with glass.

I bought these from Hearts Homebrew. They come with a #10 gum rubber stopper that is specially drilled to accommodate a 1/2" ID tube. They are made with Better-Bottles in mind. If you've ever tried to drill out a gum rubber stopper you'll understand why they are worth the 6 bucks! Been using them for years. They work great. Better-Bottle makes a PET ported closure with a large bore opening for a blow-off tube, but they are threaded and I didn't want to deal with threaded fittings.

bbtlblowoflg.jpg
closure_pet_pt6_blow.jpg

As you can see, the ones from Hearts Homebrew work very nicely!

DSC02202.jpg

I wish people with glass carboys would stop telling people with better bottles to buy the wrong sized tubing.

I use the ones passed pawn has. A 1/2" ID tube fits over the nipple/hole in the middle of the bung.

PP, is that a chest freezer? Looks freakin' Awesome! Also, looks like you were busy, as they are all roughly at high krauesen!!! I brew two in a weekend sometimes, but that's taxing my equipment, energy and time!

PP, is that a chest freezer? Looks freakin' Awesome! Also, looks like you were busy, as they are all roughly at high krauesen!!! I brew two in a weekend sometimes, but that's taxing my equipment, energy and time!

Yes, chest freezer. I can't remember the situation there, but I doubt that I brewed all of those on the same day.

There are 3 different blowoff methods at work there:

• tubing inside the bung hole,
  • larger tubing around the hole flange (these bungs have a 1/2" flange that rises above the hole circumference,
  • and tubing on the inner tube of a 3-piece airlock, which is then in the bung.

I now only use the tubing in the hole trick. It's a good idea to pick up 2 extra bungs and extra tubing and just dedicate those for blowoffs. I store these inside the plastic pitcher in the pic above. It's my blowoff kit.

Yes, chest freezer. I can't remember the situation there, but I doubt that I brewed all of those on the same day.

There are 3 different blowoff methods at work there:

• tubing inside the bung hole,
  • larger tubing around the hole flange (these bungs have a 1/2" flange that rises above the hole circumference,
  • and tubing on the inner tube of a 3-piece airlock, which is then in the bung.

I now only use the tubing in the hole trick. It's a good idea to pick up 2 extra bungs and extra tubing and just dedicate those for blowoffs. I store these inside the plastic pitcher in the pic above. It's my blowoff kit.

What sized freezer? My 7.2 CF only fits 2 carboys. So that must be a big one.

Also, I've got enough beers in the pipeline these days I really need to start labeling my carboys. Thanks for setting a good example. :mug:

What sized freezer? My 7.2 CF only fits 2 carboys. So that must be a big one.

Also, I've got enough beers in the pipeline these days I really need to start labeling my carboys. Thanks for setting a good example. :mug:

I do bad example equally well. That 14.8 cu.ft. freezer has had several inches of beer in it (check your keg fittings), all of my malt (had to freeze it to kill the weevils), and I've accidentally frozen all of my beer twice in it (make sure to put the temp controller sensor back in the freezer after cleaning).

But thanks for the kind words.

Latest posts

Back