adding cane sugar to the primary (carboy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadarnell

Reaction score
hello .. my recipe calls for 8 oz. of cane sugar and I decided to let fermentation start b4 I added it ... now I'm not sure how to add it ... I know I want to boil it in some water first, but do I just slowly pour it in the carboy after it's cooled? .. will it mix itself up during the rest of fermentation .. fermentation is on day 2 now and very active .. help ???

Just boil it up in a little water, then let it cool and add it.

A chef friend taught me to just use enough water to wet the granuals plus 1 tbs of water more.

The yeast won't need any help finding the sugar.

I would boil it in a pint of water for 10 minutes and let it cool to 70 degrees or so. I would probably cover the pot with sanitized foil after boiling and run it through an ice or cold water bath till it's 70. From that point slowly pour into the primary so you don't get any oxidation into the brew. Don't mix it in. No need since sugar doesn't contribute flavor only alcohol content. The yeasty beasties will seek out the sugar and make sweet sweet ethyl alcohol. Hope this helps!

-Erv

Latest posts

Back