Hello From Iraq

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerninja

Reaction score
So ive been living on a diet of St. Paulies NA and Hollisters (na) and beef jerky (you would be serprised how much wight ive lost) and ill have to say, after having such low beer standerds thease past few months when i go him Feb. for leave ill really really really injoy my 1st micro brew from a pub in San Diego. but yeah. ive been super busy flying UAVs over here. ( take a near beer into the shelter with me) but ive been looking to when i get out of the army and im going ot beocme a brewer any adive where do i start looking? where do i go to school for that? do i need to? is like an aprentiship deal? can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thank.

:tank: BeerNinja:tank:

Holy Cow man!...Bringing back many memories for me... St. Pauli Girl, Becks and some german brew I can't pronounce. I've been back a year and I actually kinda miss TQ. Many fond memories (and some not so good ones too)

I can't answer your question for you, but what I can do is send you stuff. PM me with an address and a list of stuff you are having trouble getting. I bet you are all stocked up on tooth paste and bar soap? We had more of that crap laying around than we knew what to do with. They were installing scanners at the post office so the bottled stuff didn't make it through after that.... but I don't think hops and grain are on the unauthorized list??? can you find a kettle & burner?... lol that little thing about manufacture of spirits being bad kinda stinks.

Hey keep your head about you and come back soon. If you need anything let me know.

When I was over there, we didnt spend more than a few moments in one place- so I did not often see the NA stuff. But once, while waiting for a Helo ride at Al Asad, I got to eat at an actual chow hall- and had a steak with a Becks NA. That was the first NonMRE meal in Months- and I swear- I felt like there was alcohol in the thing- though I know it was in my head.
I too cannot comment much on going pro with this stuff, but in the tours I've taken of Mico type places- I've noticed that very few people are responsible for the actual Brewing- and they had plenty of people on hand to supply Man hours in exchange for the knowledge and experience gained. I'd offer to help out with what ever grunt work needs to be done, and take it from there. I day dream about doing that here- High Point Brewing (Makers of Ramstien wheat beers) is less than a click from my house- and I'd love to offer my time cleaning/carrying things/ what ever- in exchange for some knowledge.
I too can hook you up with what ever might be needed. Though I'll admit I'm jelious of all the money the Army has. I sent my cousin everything I ever wanted when I was there......he threw it out b/c they had it on hand. They had Lays chips every day! WTF.

No advice for you other than to ask a local micro if you can help them scoop grain and lend a hand. best way to get into the door is show you are willing to help for nothing then they can see you love of brewing.

on a side note: Thank you for fighting over there in the big cat box

i would have killed for near beer when i was over there --- 2 MRE's a day totally ruined my gut and when i got back home and went on my regular diet --- the extra greese certainly slicked up the track

i'd say stick around here ---- pull some good knowledge out of the AG forum and look around to see what you can find..

last 3 months of a deployment are the most dangerous --- do everyone a favor and make it back home safely.

Hey thanks everyone. you all dont gatta worry about me so muc (im a poge) and i never leave the FOB, this place is almost like being back in Garrison...you know with out the booze and freedom... but other then that its the same...only with an M4 and i havnt had a single MRE sinse ive been here, hell i got strat Air and didnt even go to Kewait. so really i should be thanking you guys who came before for making this place so nice, well you know for iraq

BeerNInja

Hey there!
First off thank you for your service!:mug:
I was deployed to Balad in 2004 and I know what you mean. It isn't that nice but it really ain't that bad either. I never even wasted my time with near beer. I can't stomach the thought.

As far as brewer's school, check out The Seibel Institute
That's the only one I know about but I think it is a pretty good school. Hopefully you could use the GI bill to pay for it.

+1 for the 'read everything you can' advice; surf all the home brewing forums to learn what you can and go here:

http://probrewer.com/

It's the forum for Professional Brewers, and has an employment classifieds section. Read there and find out the stuff that goes on behind the Pubs.

And thank you for your sacrifice and service.

beerninja said:
So ive been living on a diet of St. Paulies NA and Hollisters (na) and beef jerky (you would be serprised how much wight ive lost) and ill have to say, after having such low beer standerds thease past few months when i go him Feb. for leave ill really really really injoy my 1st micro brew from a pub in San Diego. but yeah. ive been super busy flying UAVs over here. ( take a near beer into the shelter with me) but ive been looking to when i get out of the army and im going ot beocme a brewer any adive where do i start looking? where do i go to school for that? do i need to? is like an aprentiship deal? can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thank.

:tank: BeerNinja:tank:

There are programs in college that you can take too to become a professional brewer, if you are really serious about it. I know UC Davis has one, and I believe that Fresno State and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo has one, too. Take care and come back safe!

Jason

Latest posts

Back