Over Carbed Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixon72

Reaction score
I just kegged my 1st brew (an ESB) the other day. I let it chill to about 34-36 dergrees and did the 30 psi shake thing for a day. I set the pressure to about 12 psi for the past couple of days to let the carbonation settle and get to where I can drink it soon. I am under the understanding that since I am using a cobra tap, I need to have a dispensing pressure of just a couple psi...true?

So today I ran the pressure down to 2 psi and tried to poor a pint. Surprise, surprise, it was all bubbles. I purged the pressure from the keg and tried again a few minutes later. It wasn't as bad, but the beer is definitely over carbonated.

I was hoping to take this keg to a party tomorrow night and am not sure what to do. I was thinking about leaving the pressure at 10 psi tonight and running it down tomorrow after work to my serving pressure of 2 psi...any suggestions?

Cheers :mug:

-Dixon

You will probably have to purge the headspace, and let the pressure equalize severa, more times to get the foaming to stop.

Don't know anything about cobra taps

Good luck.

I had the same problem with a batch.

I ended up unlocking the lid and letting it sit over night to degauss.

Next night I fastened the lid back on and set it to serving PSI (5-6) and it was okay.

Your results may vary.

I don't shake any more. If I'm in a hurry, I set it to 30PSI for exactly 36-48 hours at 37 degrees and then back down to serving and it's always right on.

You could do this:

Open the lid...keep it chilled...sanitize a spoon or ladle and give the beer inside a slight swirl to release some gas. Don't aerate the beer.

You're basically force flattening the beer. Do this for a bit, lock the lid back on...set to 5PSI and pour and see. Repeat if necessary.

I think you may have an issue with the length of your beer line. I use about 5-6 feet of 3/16 line and set to 10-12 PSI. Once I vent the gas from force carbing, I never have a problem with foaming. Just an idea.

Cheers,
Shoopdog

I just sanitized a spoon and tried giving the beer a slow stir to release some carbonation...and WOW! A word to the wise who try this, don't stir too much, The amount of carbonation must be through the roof cause it just about over flowed and made a huge mess.

Shoop: I'm using about the same amount of 3/16 line.

dixon72 said:
I just sanitized a spoon and tried giving the beer a slow stir to release some carbonation...and WOW! A word to the wise who try this, don't stir too much, The amount of carbonation must be through the roof cause it just about over flowed and made a huge mess.

Shoop: I'm using about the same amount of 3/16 line.

The good news is that you released a lot of excess gas. If possible try and cap that keg and pull a small glass. You don't want to go overboard in flattening your beer, especially if you're trying to serve it tomorrow.

I purged the head space and turned the reg down to about 2-4psi and it poured perfectly. Thanks for the advice BierMuncher!

dixon72 said:
I purged the head space and turned the reg down to about 2-4psi and it poured perfectly. Thanks for the advice BierMuncher!
Glad I could help. Now next time, if you're in a hurry, remember the 30PSI at 60 hours [[EDIT should read 36-48 hours]] routine and quit shaking that beer.... :D

Signed...former beer shaker...

Biermuncher,

What approximate CO2 level will you get at 60 hours at about 37 degrees?

I would be afraid of that long myself, but I trust you know what you are doing, especially if you have repeated it !! :)

I need a system because I am not going to wait 2-3 weeks for the beer to carbonate. :mug:

Biermuncher,

What approximate CO2 level will you get at 60 hours at about 37 degrees?

Holy crap. That was a fat fingered typo. I meant 36-48 hours, not 60. :D

Four year old post repaired accordingly.

My CO2 is measured by mouth feel, appearance and taste. I couldn't tell you what my "volumes" are to save my life. :p

Ok, that's better. I just thought you were a bit "high". Pun intended. :rockin:

Great fix! Quick question BierMuncher...I believe I did this as well but the keg is only 1/4 full now. I forgot about it and just bottled beers instead and drank way too many way too quick...

Back to question...

Would you recommend using that spoon trick for this as well? Seems to be about the same issue and the beer in it should be drank fully soon.

Thanks for the input

Latest posts

Back