Let my yeast get warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
Hey guys I am brewing a pale ale from Northern Brewer and it came with a Wyeast smack pack and ice pack to keep it cool.

I've kept it cool up until last night. I pulled it out of the kegerator to put something in and left it out on the washing machine overnight. We had the AC on but I don't think it was cool enough for the yeast.

I should just suck it up and buy new yeast, right? It was probably left out of the fridge for 15 hours...

Thanks!

Tim

Hmmm. I've never made a starter. Don't I need extra ingredients to get that going?

No, I'll hit my LHBS today and pick up some DME. But if I'm going to buy DME would it be any different than just buying a new yeast pack?

Or should you always make a starter with liquid yeast? The wyeast pack says pitch it after it has swelled for 3 hours.

Your yeast is fine. You need extended periods well over 90 degrees to kill the yeast.

You can smack the nutrient pack and proceed.

When using liquid yeast you should always make a starter. The pack will ferment and make good beer. Pitching the proper amount of yeast should make that good beer better.

Check mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com for information on starters.

I went to my LHBS and picked up some DME. However the guy there said that since its supposed to finish at 1.032 he said it wasn't necessary to do a starter.

Do you guys agree with this?

Tim

Latest posts

Back