Sweat fitting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanshults

Reaction score
I am building an immersion chiller and was wondering if anyone had any advice/words of warning about sweated fittings contacting the wort. Is there any special cleaning or treatment that I should do prior to utilizing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

make sure it is lead free.

other than that, cleaning the copper prior and after soldering should be good

+1 to what Maltose said. I just researched the samething you asked and his advice were the two most important things I learned.

To clean your copper a 10 minute soak in PBW or StarSan will take care of it. I'll be washing my newly made false bottom tonight and brewing with it tomorrow.

I'd also choose a flux that is water soluble. That way the flux can be cleaned out when you're done by flushing the system. Oil soluble fluxes stick around. A hot water/pbw flush should remove it but with a water based flux you pretty much know for sure.

My preference is for Oatey H-20-5 although Nokorode Aqua Flux should do just as good a job.

Latest posts

Back