Got 47' of copper but don't know what to build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kshuler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi-

So, I have a whole bunch of extra 5/8" OD soft copper tubing, about 47 feet worth, nice and shiny, but don't know what to do with it anymore. When I bought it, 50' was the smallest size I could get, and I really only wanted 3 feet. So, I have 47 feet just calling my name to do something with it.

The thing is, I already have an old counterflow chiller, recently got a Plate chiller, an feed it with a hopback. I love the idea of the jamil-o-chiller, but frankly, I think I get good hop flavor and aroma from the hopback and don't see the advantage for me with this kind of chiller. With the CFC I can chill the whole 5 gallon batch in 6 minutes, and it should be even faster with the plate chiller.

Despite my having some nifty equipment, I am a complete newb to brewing. I am trying to do some partial mash recipes, but it is a bit of a pain in the buttocks because I have only one very large pot, a crummy cooler that doesn't hold temperature well. I have no room left in the tiny house and SWMBO does NOT want me to get stuff for all grain, because it would involve 2 more large pots or coolers.

I think the coil of copper would make a lovely coil in the HLT of a HERMS system, but it looks like I will not be allowed to do this, at least not until we move (not in the cards right now). :(

Can anyone think of something I could do, as an extract brewer, with 47' of 5/8 OD copper tubing? Or should I just keep it around on the off chance that I want to do a HERMS system? Speaking of which, is a HERMS system really all that much better than just a couple of well insulated coolers?

Klaus

My HERMS uses a corny keg with an electric heating element in it, and a thermocouple temp controller.
The advantage to this, rather than the HLT, is that I can have whatever amount of water, at whatever temperature in my HLT.

In your shoes, I would hold on to the copper, or sell it to another homebrewer. Doesn't sound like you need much more until you persuade your SWMBO that All Grain is a necessity

I'm with chrislehr, kind of. Build a nice IC or counterflow and sell it. Use the money for more extract ingredients or whatever...

Latest posts

Back