Belma in my first Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisC16

Reaction score
Hey all. Doing my first wit at the request of a few friends who enjoy the style (I'm not really a fan).

Has anyone used Belma hops in a wit? The descriptor of light citrus and melon sounded like it would go well with the bitter and fresh citrus zest in the recipe.

BIAB
3# Wheat DME
3# German Best light malt
1# Organic 2 row pale
8 oz flaked oat.
1 oz E.K. Golding @ 60
1 oz Belma @ 5
1 oz Belma @ F/O
.5 oz Bitter Orange
1 oz fresh orange/citrus
.75 oz coriander
.25 oz chamomile
WLP400 Witbier yeast

Assembled from 3 different recipes, started from BeerSmith's wit.

Again, anyone have any experience with Belma in a wit?

Unless you're really going for a hop presence in this beer, I'd back off the late hops. Wit is powered by the yeast. A delicate hop balance can be nice, but just be careful of using too much. I'd halve those quantities.

That said, Belma is similar to cascade and could add some nice citrus qualities. Just don't overdo it and detract from it being a wit.

I went a little heavy on the Belma as I've read a lot of reviews where it was giving a VERY muted flavour.

Go for it. If you like pale ales and your friends like wit it's a happy medium.

A friend just brewed a beer with Ardennes yeast (think golden strong type flavors - pear, ginger, low phenols) and a bunch of Belma. The hops gave it a lot of melon and especially strawberry. Could definitely work in a wit.

Back