Help me make my mind up - Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
OK, with the deal at Keg Connection, I do not see how I can afford NOT to get me a kegarator going. That said , I'm in a quandary.

I really can only sped about $200 on the kit components right now. Cost of gas is not an issue, nor is a fridge to put them in.

I wonder though , if you start with Pic Nic taps, can you easily convert to shanks and mounted taps later? Because if so I'd rather order a 3 keg system now, for obvious reasons and convert later - but if doing so would be either a huge PITA or overly expensive, I'll just have to get the 2 keg fridge ready kit.

I have never actually seen an installed system - is it as simple as removing the picnic tap line and reinstalling the door mounter tap?

Opinions / advice very much appreciated.

Picnic taps you can just coil up on top of the kegs. Not a big deal to upgrade other than unhooking the picnic tap(s). You can even use the same ball lock connectors for you shanks/taps later. Go for it...but I predict you'll be ordering the taps in no time. Nothing will be wasted though. Party taps can always be used for something.

second the above, not a pita or much of a cost difference either. The only "extra" cost for doing it later is the cost of the picnic taps.

It is well worth it on the kegs mine came with picknik taps and the faucits but all i did the day i got the set was cut them off and install the shanks and faucits

assuming the usual 5 foot line, you are going to be out less than 10 bucks per line to upgrade later on down the road, I am in the same boat and that is how it priced out to me.

Back