Gonna give Rhisomes a go next spring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
Hi all...Im not sure if there have been any posts previously, but im gonna give growing my own a try in 2010...Have a couple of questions though...

1) As I live in the "Burbs" and have a reletively small lot (.30 acre) I was wondering about the size of the actual "garden" I would need for say 4 rhizomes? (10x12') perhaps?

2) I reside in Indiana and am not sure of current soil pH and was curious as to what strains would best flourish in my area? (i.e. Cascade vs Fuggles vs Hood) ???

3) Does anyone know of where I can find plans for a reletively inexpensive hop trellis?

Thanks to all here at HBT...Best Forum Ive found for any topic...Jason

If you are able to grow them tall, they shouldn't take up a terribly large amount of space. They need a lot of sun contact but if they have plenty of vertical room they'll expand that way and get the sunlight they need.

I think any hop variety, really, should be OK. I'd recommend getting a cascade just because they seem to grow so well.

10x12 is plenty of space for 4 plants
Cascade grows well just about everywhere.
The simplest and least expensive trellis is a single pole in the middle of the plot. Some people call it a tepee trellis.

I would recommend building a raised bed garden. For one thing, you need some kind of hill for hops, but another thing is that hops are actually pretty invasive plants, so after a few years you could land up with hops in the middle of your lawn.

but another thing is that hops are actually pretty invasive plants, so after a few years you could land up with hops in the middle of your lawn.

You may see this barren green desert and call it a "lawn" but I prefer to see "future hop garden". Or perhaps "brewing space" if so used.

Latest posts

Back