First Barley Wine and starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbradford

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make my first barley wine, and have a couple questions. The beer is Austin Homebrews American Barley Wine extract kit (Austin Homebrew Supply).

My question is in regards to how big of a starter I will need for this beer. AHS recommended pitching two vials of yeast (White Labs California Ale WLP001). However, I decided to get only one vial and use the extra $ to make my first starter.

Will a 1000ml flask be big enough to create a good starter for this? How do I calculate the ratio of DME to water? FYI, the beer has OG of 1.090.

Thanks!

Check out mrmalty.com It has a pitching rate calculator that works well, just plug in your OG. I'm guessing you going to need a couple liters of good starter for a barleywine. For DME in water ratio you want to use a 1:10 grams:ml ratio. so 100g Lighgt DME in 1000ml H2O.

When you say couple liters of starter... doesn't that mean I should make ~2000ml H2O and 200g of DME?

What container would be good for that big of a starter? My kit I got just has this tiny 1000ml flask.

Here is a calculator you can use for amount of DME:

Homebrew Starter Wort Calculator

And I would definitely make at least 2L of starter; do you have a 1 gallon carboy? or a 1/2 gallon? Those two container would work.

Back