Hefe step mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eponai

Reaction score
hiya everybody!

i'm brewing up a hefeweizen this weekend and i was looking over the article jamil wrote on the style where he recommends a step mash:

http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2265-german-hefeweizen-style-profile

i'd like to try that out but not sure how with my equipment and previous brewing methods. i've got a converted cooler for a mash tun so all temperature changes would have to come from water additions, and i usually use the denny conn method of batch sparging. any tips on how to accomplish the ferulic acid rest at 110? or is this a method better left to kettle mash tuns on a heat source?

thanks,
christine

I step mash with water additions. You need to use a brew calculator to get the volume additions right. I have some problems hitting my target temperaures because BrewPal has hard coded the boiling temperature of water as 212F when it actually boils at 200F at my elevation.

You could also do it as a decoction mash.

cool. i have beersmith. i suppose this would mean choosing a double infusion mash profile instead of my usual single?

Back