Airlock Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffey

Reaction score
My cider has been in the primary (1gal glass jug) for two weeks. The shape of the carboy makes it impractical to take a hydrometer reading. Can someone tell me roughly, in bubbles per minute, when fermentation should be finished? It is down to 3-4 bubbles per minute with some fizzing. Unpasteurized cider and Coopers brewing yeast was used. Thanks!

Sorry, there's no way to tell without a hydrometer reading. You can guess that it's done when there is no more activity, but it would be a guess.

I use a sanitized turkey baster to pull out my samples, if that helps you any.

YooperBrew said:
Sorry, there's no way to tell without a hydrometer reading. You can guess that it's done when there is no more activity, but it would be a guess.

I use a sanitized turkey baster to pull out my samples, if that helps you any.
Yep. Don't use your bubbler to read your beer.

You can get samples pretty easy. I use carboys as primaries all the time…just fill my racking cane with tap water, put my thumbs over the ends, carry over to the carboy, drop the cane into the middle of the brew and drop the other end into a small SS pot to collect a cup or so. Takes about 60 seconds.

And, if you are watching bubbles the correct answer is its done when there are zero bubbles per minute. If there are bubbles, it IS fermenting!

Back