Apfelwein and Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeus

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this, so here we go...

I've got a batch of apfelwein that's been fermenting for a little over 4 weeks now. I'm still seeing some bubbling and I get a bubble in the airlock every 28 seconds. Would this be safe to keg or should I wait?

Thanks! :mug:

It's "safe" to keg at any point but you shouldn't until it's completely done + a week to clear a bit. Kegging too early will just cause the first quart or so to be really cloudy.

Mikeus said:
I'm not sure where to post this, so here we go...

I've got a batch of apfelwein that's been fermenting for a little over 4 weeks now. I'm still seeing some bubbling and I get a bubble in the airlock every 28 seconds. Would this be safe to keg or should I wait?

Thanks! :mug:

Patience is needed here. Give it a couple more weeks. It will be better and like Bobby says, clearer too.

Now is the time to make another batch while you are waiting.:cross:

If you want to really good stuff. Let it sit in that keg for about 6 months. very good. I have anoother batch that was in the primary for 2 months. Put it in secondary where it will sit for 6 weeks as I travel for work(4 weeks to go), then I'll keg it and let it sit for another couple months. In the mean time, I have another batch that I started a little over three weeks ago that will get the same treament.

Back