Fermentation and White Labs WLP 099 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzofo1

Reaction score
I currently have my DIPA in secondary fermentation in a 5 gallon carboy. It's been 3 weeks now. But it's stuck at 1.026 for over 2 weeks now. I bought a vial of White Labs WLP 099 to try and start it back up and hope to finish at 1.017. Is this a good idea? Or should I hold off and pick up some yeast energizer for it? The HB shop did not have yeast energizer so I was told to try the white labs 099. If I do use the WLP 099 do I just shake it up and add to the wort/beer? Or should I do a yeast activator. Or should I just go ahead and bottle what I have?
Thanks.

How long has it been fermenting? What was the og? All grain or extract? Need some more details to make a better suggestion.

Does it taste good? If so I vote for bottling. If not you could wait a few more weeks and see if it improves before pitching more yeast.

metal850 said:
How long has it been fermenting?

Sorry just reread the post, that sounds stuck. You could try rousing the yeast by gently shaking the fermentor. It may help get some more attenuation.

How long has it been fermenting? What was the og? All grain or extract? Need some more details to make a better suggestion.

Does it taste good? If so I vote for bottling. If not you could wait a few more weeks and see if it improves before pitching more yeast.

In the primary for 2 weeks and 1 week in the secondary. OG was 1.071 and FG should be at 1.017. All grain (16lb) and 4 oz zythos hops. It's been sitting at 1.026 for 2 weeks. Just sitting there looking and smelling like tea. Taste is good. ABV should reach 9%. But I think its around 5 right now. This is a DIPA.

Sorry just reread the post, that sounds stuck. You could try rousing the yeast by gently shaking the fermentor. It may help get some more attenuation.

There is no action in the carboy at all. No bubbles on top. It looks like its ready to bottle or keg. My last batch I kegged. But this batch I'm thinking about bottling it. Maybe the conditioning will help it out a bit?

Hmm, you probably moved it to secondary a little early, but what's done is done. If it tastes good and hasn't dropped gravity for a while you could bottle it and call it a barleywine. You could also try the 099, it may attenuate some more. It's really up to you, let us know what you choose and the results. Cheers!

Back