C120 and Roasty Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I made this simple american pale ale....it is a great brew but it has a mild roasty flavor that I don't think is on point for an APA. The only thing I can think is that this tiny amount of C120 contributed this?

12 gallon batch at %80 efficiency
17 pounds two row
2 pound munich
1 pound C40
1 pound C60
½ pound victory
6 oz C120

Thoughts?

looking at the rest of your ingredients, that's the only thing I can come up with. May I ask why you used 120 in this recipe. Were you looking for a raisen-y flavor? C120 from my experience tends to have some "burnt" notes. Not burnt as in the dark roasted malts, but more as in heavy caramelized sugar.

If you were using it for color, I would have just used a bit more of the lower Crystals.

I am no expert at all....just giving some thoughts.

Also, if its a "great brew", but not to style....unless you are competing who cares? You have a "great brew" and your taste buds are what really matter in the end.

looking at the rest of your ingredients, that's the only thing I can come up with. May I ask why you used 120 in this recipe. Were you looking for a raisen-y flavor? C120 from my experience tends to have some "burnt" notes. Not burnt as in the dark roasted malts, but more as in heavy caramelized sugar.

If you were using it for color, I would have just used a bit more of the lower Crystals.

I am no expert at all....just giving some thoughts.

Also, if its a "great brew", but not to style....unless you are competing who cares? You have a "great brew" and your taste buds are what really matter in the end.

I was looking to add a touch of deep raisiny caramel flavor, but I didn't get that at all from it. it has that slight roasty note, similar to how fat tire finishes.

I am not competing and the brew is one of my finest, but I just want to know where this flavor may have came from so I can duplicate it in future brews.

I was looking to add a touch of deep raisiny caramel flavor, but I didn't get that at all from it. it has that slight roasty note, similar to how fat tire finishes.

My bet would be on the munich+victory. I used victory in a fat tire-style recipe and got that same toasty flavor. I wouldn't call it roasty... it's definitely more of a medium-toasted bread.

Back