Ready to bottle my lager... keep it at 35*?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
So i'm ready to bottle these lagers, and per the wiki I'm going to throw in about a 1/4-1/2 a package of hydrated dry yeast to help with the bottle conditioning.

One thing I have not found here is the temperature of the beer, do I keep it at the lagering temp (it's about 35 degrees now) or do I let it warm up to room temperature first, before I add the priming sugar and yeast? (I do add priming sugar too, right? That seems obvious that the yeast is in addition, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere) I plan on letting the bottles condition at about 70-72, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that first.

Also, what is the typical conditioning time? I know it will be ready when it's ready, but is the standard 3 weeks typical or should I wait longer?

edit: Oh yeah, thanks in advance! :)

First , let me say I have only brewed 5 or 6 lagers, and am a noob as such(when it comes to lagers), but I have had good success with conditioning@ 70 for 2 weeks just like ale, then return to lager temps for 2 weeks.I should mention that I haven't needed to add more yeast, just dex, and I use saflager or wy2270pils. Lots of lagerheads on HBT tho, and will probly have more accurate advice for you...cheers

Another option is to keep it all cold. First prepare a bottling bucket with the priming sugar, fill them all while working quickly, then once all the bottles are filled and capped, return them to the fridge to bottle condition. Lagered beer with no extra yeast additions, let sit 4 weeks to prime and age.

I never have had the need to add yeast to mine although I set mine in fermenting fridge at 62-64 I wait 3 weeks and try 1 mostly I keg but do 6 to 8 bottles per batch too travel with have bought much beer in the last 10 years love my beer and don't like to settle for less :D:drunk:

Another option is to keep it all cold. First prepare a bottling bucket with the priming sugar, fill them all while working quickly, then once all the bottles are filled and capped, return them to the fridge to bottle condition. Lagered beer with no extra yeast additions, let sit 4 weeks to prime and age.

I don't think lagers in the fridge will carb, though. It'll be flat in 4 weeks. Even lager yeast will be dormant at fridge temps.

If the lager has been kept in the lagering chamber for more than about 4 weeks, I think it's good practice to re-yeast.

1/3 of a package of dry yeast (nottingham is good for this) can be added to the boiled and cooled priming solution in the bottling bucket. The lager can be racked into this, and then bottled. It will take about 3 weeks at 68-70 degrees to be carbed up.

I don't think lagers in the fridge will carb, though. It'll be flat in 4 weeks. Even lager yeast will be dormant at fridge temps.

If the lager has been kept in the lagering chamber for more than about 4 weeks, I think it's good practice to re-yeast.

1/3 of a package of dry yeast (nottingham is good for this) can be added to the boiled and cooled priming solution in the bottling bucket. The lager can be racked into this, and then bottled. It will take about 3 weeks at 68-70 degrees to be carbed up.

You can carb lager beer just the same as any ale, add priming sugar. The lager yeast can carb but it needs to be kept at the same temp as it was lagering. In the original post they were lagering at 35 degrees. When I had my beer fridge (45) it was kept higher than my normal family fridge (36), didn't mention this, I'm sorry.

I don't like to add extra yeast to carb, also raising the temp of the beer activate the new yeast in order for this to work. When you do change temp, add yeast, and sugar you can change flavor profiles by doing this, but also monks and major breweries do this and it adds to there final flavor profile, if that's what he is going for.

Latest posts

Back