go f yourself, califronia!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm United States Championship Cheese Contest, huh?

What's that at the bottom of the page?
Copyright 2011 Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association

Sort of like how west coast IPAs do better in west coast competitions than east coast competitions...

Regional preferences probably factor in quite a bit.

Hmm United States Championship Cheese Contest, huh?

What's that at the bottom of the page?

Sort of like how west coast IPAs do better in west coast competitions than east coast competitions...

Regional preferences probably factor in quite a bit.

blah blah blah

http://www.cheesesociety.org/associations/2382/files/judgingandcompetition.cfm

count em up - WI outperformed CA. and that's a seattle comp.

there's also this, ran by the same organizers as the US Championship

http://www.worldchampioncheese.org/_apps/contest_results/

2010 overall winners weren't even from this country. but they must have been wisconsiners by heart.

Vermont makes some good cheese as does Oregon, but there's a reason they call them Cheeseheads I guess.

i don't have a horse in this race, but while we're at, Go F yourself Virginia, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and probably Oklahoma

While I don't care about the cheese, as a born and raised Californian, I have to wholeheartedly agree with the OP!

I don't know what kind of crazy advertising CA does in other states for their cheese. I used to live on the IL/WI border growing up and I love cheese from both states. Although, I tend to think of WI as more of a cheddar state and CA as more of a frilly artisan cheese state.

I do note that the differences between e.g. 1st and 3rd place in most of the categories are less than one point. Seems like generally speaking cheese is pretty damn good all over.

WI & CA can both f off! Tillamoo...errr...you know what...we make better beer. Nevermind the bollo...cheese contests.*

*our cheese is good too

I grew up in California and spent 28 years there before moving to the IL/WI border. No one I ever was around thought 'real cheese' came from Cali, we all thought it came from up north in Oregon (Tillamook was the BEST) and I always found those "happy cows" to be scary as hell - worse than clowns.

Whatever.
Oregon has the best cheese, Rogue creameries and Tillamook creameries are heads and shoulders above anything else (besides the best of the French offerings)

Some of us can only purchase a few different brands of cheese. It all has to do with what the stores we shop at stock. I'm not about to try and order some cheese online that I've never tried before.

Personally, I don't really care where the cheese comes from, as long as I like how it tastes, and I don't have a bad reaction from it. I do prefer to get Vermont cheese when possible, but that's more to do with wanting to support regional companies than anything else. I'm sure I'd feel the same way about places out in Oregon, if I lived in that part of the country. Or about cheese from Wisconsin if I lived closer to that region.

Whoever makes the slices in the plastic sleeves I get to peel apart and add to my sandwich: I like you.

I am equally indifferent to most parts of the USA, but this song is good :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming from the state where rivers catch fire...............

Make sure you don't fart anywhere near that... :eek:

Seems like CA is flaming every summer... I'm talking about forest fires, not San Fran... :eek: Here in New England, I can't remember the last time we had a forest fire... Then again, I don't watch the news very much. :D The occasional brush fire, maybe, but we're not talking about the thousands of acres that get charred every year out in CA... Makes me wonder if the cows are happy due to being down wind when a "herb grower's" place goes up in flames. :rockin:

A lot of great cheese is made in Oregon. We don't tend to get up tight about it though.

Yeah and no good beer here whatsoever, either. :mug:

Kick them out of the union then... If they can't produce at least one good brew, they're OUT! :D Just let them slip into the ocean and be done with it. :rockin:

MeatyPortion said:
I hear that the drive-bys are well executed.

Hmmmm... Well, they do get a decent amount of practice out there... Wonder how they stack up against other states though. :D

Who or what is califronia?:cross:

Oh and ANOLDUR, the Jersey thing need not be mentioned. It's understood.:D

It's funny hearing people HATING on The Bear Republic....California has it's fair share of problems, but it's the only state of the union where I'd want to live.

WI may make "better" cheese than CA, but WHO THE PHUCK CARES?! There's not a brewery in WI that I'd rather buy from over CA's LONG LIST.

It's funny hearing people HATING on The Bear Republic....California has it's fair share of problems, but it's the only state of the union where I'd want to live.

I hate CA because of the better gun laws (compared with MA)... :( Almost makes me want to get a job out there... :eek: Almost... It would have to be in the northern part of the state, since I simply HATE hot weather/long summers...

WI may make "better" cheese than CA, but WHO THE PHUCK CARES?! There's not a brewery in WI that I'd rather buy from over CA's LONG LIST.

I never thought I would find a brewery that I liked better than my beloved Mendocino Brewery (California) but I found one that comes so very close in Michigan. And until I found that brewery, I had not found pizza that compared to what I grew up with in Cali. But as for cheese, Cali just doesn't cut it...

You live in Round Lake and you are complaining about pizza? There is plenty of excellent pizza around there and I'm not just talking about the "Chicago style" Gino's East stuff.

California leads the US in warnings that absolutely everything causes cancer. They are also responsible for creating laws that lead to that crap gasoline that pollutes 20% less than regular gas, however you get 25% worse fuel economy, so you only pollute 5% more than regular old fashioned gas over a given distance.

But all that pollution seems to breed a lot of hotties!

I'm an expatriate Wisconsinite living seventeen miles from the state line of Illinois and my home state, and I do love me some extra sharp cheddar. Now, we do much of our grocery shopping at a Super Walmart...I know, but let's not go there...and the "Walmart Way" is to import Cabot's Extra Sharp Cheddar from Vermont. It is excellent, and I'm sure Wisconsin cheese makers can make an equal or better product...but it's the Walmart Way!

glenn514:mug:

I wouldn't say that too loud. I'd stack New Glarus' brews up against anybody's.

I'm an expatriate Wisconsinite living seventeen miles from the state line of Illinois and my home state, and I do love me some extra sharp cheddar. Now, we do much of our grocery shopping at a Super Walmart...I know, but let's not go there...and the "Walmart Way" is to import Cabot's Extra Sharp Cheddar from Vermont. It is excellent, and I'm sure Wisconsin cheese makers can make an equal or better product...but it's the Walmart Way!

glenn514:mug:

Seventeen miles? Seriously????? You couldn't find a place seventeen miles further north? You must feel awfully dirty. So close, yet so far. Expatriate or not, you're still a FIB by seventeen miles.:p

Back