NB Honey Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smmcdermott

Reaction score
Hi All,

I did a search on honey and found a lot of different techniques on how to add. I have heard early in boil, at flameout, when cooling wort is at 150 F and when bottling. I realize that not much honey flavor will be imparted to the beer, but have read that when adding at 150 F, you fo get some flavor.

Has anyone had luck with this?

Also, the kit comes with 1 pound of honey. If I add more honey, at 150 F, will that add more flavor? Darker the honey the better right?

I don't want to go out and buy honey malt either, don't have the money or the time to drive to the nearest LHBS (1 hour).

Thanks!

I heat my honey to 160deg and hold it for 10min, then add it at flame-out, so that it never boils.

Flavor of honey is more dependent on the type of flowers that the bees were collecting.

My experience with adding upto 3# of honey to a 5gal batch of beer, you will get very little honey flavor. Honey's biggest effect I have noted in my uses, is that it will produce a dryer beer and not much more.

Just did my first tasting of the NB Honey Weizen from the keg last night. No honey flavor whatsoever. I added the honey at flameout as per the instructions. This sucker fermented like crazy for almost two weeks and then stopped cold...OG and FG absolutely on the money.

Very lite, very little character, but no off flavors and perfectly refreshing and drinkable. It's young, though, so I'll give it a couple more weeks before I pass final judgement. I'm not a real wheat fan, but I thought I'd give this a try and use it to introduce the SWMBO Bud Lite drinker to my homebrew.

Back