Acquired Pepsi Kegs, good to dispense?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpr121

Reaction score
So I acquired some pepsi kegs, still full and capped, of unknown age. I have been thinking about setting up a soda system, so thought this might be a good place to start until I make enough beer that needs to go in em. Does this stuff go bad? I understand that these pre-mix kegs have been out of use for some time, so they might be 5,6,10 years old. Is it worth setting up a soda system for this?

Well the kegs will last for ever. Not sure I'd trust the syrup in them if you don't know the age. I'd dump the syrup and just clean them up for when you decide to start kegging.

Soda will not go bad to the point it makes you sick. I say give it a try. Worst case is the ingredients have separated a bit and it tastes funny. Then you dump it.

Source: SWMBO works for Pepsi.

How'd you score those? I've called the local Pepsi bottler here in Erie and they will not sell me any cornies, full or empty.

A guy on here was selling them, I dunno where he sourced them. I thought they were all empty but turns 2/3 of them were full and sealed. I imagine he was sitting on them for a little while. I'm gonna hook one up tonight to a picnic tap and see what comes out.

My first thought is to shake it up good first to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed. Also it might have soda syrup in it instead of pre-mix soda...

Kevin, I would estimate the contents to be from 8 to 10 years old. They were kept indoors at ambient room temperature.

Let me know if you do decide to try the stuff.

My first thought is to shake it up good first to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed. Also it might have soda syrup in it instead of pre-mix soda...

Pretty sure that's a given. The whole paradigm was based on syrup, as does the "bag-in-box" packaging that replaced the Corneys...

Cheers!

I had a few of them I got of some guy that were full of syrup. Smelled like ****. Some were still full of co2. Hardest thing to clean. I put boiled water to get the excess syrup out. Nasty stuff.

Are we required to contact help if he doesn't return with the answer of if is was safe? Hehe X-(

Haha I am still alive. I havent had a chance to give it a try yet, had a 16 hour workday yesterday. Im getting off normal time today so I'll give it a try tonight and let everyone know how it goes. I am a little afraid about Pogopunx82's comments about being hard to clean. I am hoping that a strong dose of oxyclean will work on them. I obviously will need to replace the orings as well (unless I decide to keep them as soda dispenser).

I worked for a place with a soda fountain using bag in box 10 years ago so it could be older than that.

Also if you have trouble cleaning it i bet a TSP solution soak followed by a good scrub and a good rinse then followed by a diluted vinegar solution soak and another rinse would do the trick.

I was recently in an amusement park here (Oklahoma) that still used corny kegs for soft drinks, so cornys are still in use in some places, although obviously not widespread.

I don't know a whole helluva lot about soda dispensing, but I'd think gathering all the items to make your kegerator serve soda would be more trouble than the syrup is worth even if it is still good. Just my 2 cents.

Blechhh the first keg was disgusting. I cant tell if it was supposed to be premix or postmix, but it tasted very sweet and was almost clear. I could gather that it was at one time supposed to be pepsi or diet pepsi, but couldnt swallow the sample.

I don't know a whole helluva lot about soda dispensing, but I'd think gathering all the items to make your kegerator serve soda would be more trouble than the syrup is worth even if it is still good. Just my 2 cents.

I was about 65% going to setup for soda anyhow, so I was figuring now would be a good time to spring for it in order to get rid of the contents. Its not going to cost me much (I have a separate CO2 tank and reg), just 25 feet of line and another picnic tap.

Now I'm thinking I just focus on getting these things dumped and clean.

Ahh, I didnt even think about Crystal Pepsi. Anyhow, I dumped all but one of them. And only attempted to taste 2, one was the clear, sweet tasting one, another was dark and bitter, not as sweet (diet pepsi maybe).

They are not all empty however! All but 2 are currently filled with either fermenting wort or delicious beer!

They did all clean up very easy. Hot water rinse and an overnight soak in oxyclean got the smell out of the keg. I bought a bunch of replacement orings on Mcmaster so swapping those out was somewhat of a breeze.

Back