Blowoff tube for bucket primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I know that when fermenting in a carboy, it's a good idea to use a blowoff tube until the initial fermentation subsides. Is this necessary with a bucket?

If you plan on covering the bucket and you are currently using a blow off tube with your carboy... then yes. You're still dealing with the same principle - unless you are comparing 2-3 inches of head space in a smaller carboy (i.e. 5 gallons) with 6-8 inches of headspace in a 7 gallon bucket. In that case, you may not require the blow-off tube. Just try it once in a bucket with the tube and if it's not needed, use a regular airlock the next time.

depends on several things, the yeast your using, the volume of wort, the volume of the bucket, if you used a starter, the starting gravity of the beer. For a while I just sued airlocks but recently I made a pretty beefy stout and the yeast attacked it like a mad man and I woke up on day two of fermentation with a foaming airlock full of beer. I set up a blow off tube and bought a new bucket lid and built it specifically for blow off. Now for my first 7 days in primary I use a blow off tube and then switch to an airlock for three weeks.

I have only had this happen once but its better to be prepared just in case.

depends on several things, the yeast your using, the volume of wort, the volume of the bucket, if you used a starter, the starting gravity of the beer. For a while I just sued airlocks but recently I made a pretty beefy stout and the yeast attacked it like a mad man and I woke up on day two of fermentation with a foaming airlock full of beer. I set up a blow off tube and bought a new bucket lid and built it specifically for blow off. Now for my first 7 days in primary I use a blow off tube and then switch to an airlock for three weeks.

I have only had this happen once but its better to be prepared just in case.

It's a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5/7ish gallon bucket. Just about 1.060 OG using WLS550 Belgian ale yeast with no starter.

I know that when fermenting in a carboy, it's a good idea to use a blowoff tube until the initial fermentation subsides. Is this necessary with a bucket?
Sometimes. That's the best answer I can give you. I've needed one every time I have brewed with rye. It's not necessary until it is. When it is, you'll be happy you had one, or you might find yourself scrubbing the wall and ceiling. You should be able to find quite a few pictures of buckets that have blown their lids on here.

After I saw the blob crawl slowly out of my APA,I 've used one every time since. I cut the bottom off an old "S" type airlock to mount a length of 3/8" tubing into the airlock bung. Then,into a half gallon vodka jug 1/3 full of water. The depth,combined with the small diameter neck,is great for this. Also the fact that it's plastic.

Back