Copper RIMS Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandy

Reaction score
Just about done with my eRIMS build. Just need to do a hydro-test and seal up the insulation! Instead of the usual "Jam the Element in real tight" I took a 1" pipe tap and reamed out the adapter enough that I could screw the element in and use the gasket it came with. A little PVC cap fits over the electric end to protect it. Two close-ups, one of the electrics, and one of the home-made thermo-well. TW's just a drilled-out compression fitting with a 1/4" sealed copper tube in it. I may or may not need to pinch the pipe down for a better fit against my 4mm diameter RTD probe. Unfortunately, I need a 3" insertion length, so none of the pre-made threaded RTDs fit quite right.

If I ever need to build another one of these, I think I'll probably ream out the 1/2" fitting on the element end, and fold the end of the pipe over to force the water to head towards the base of the element. Other than that, seems like it should be ready to go.

RIMS.jpg

RIMS-2.jpg

RIMS-3.jpg

Yes, by the way, that is 1" pipe. Element fits nicely in it. Whole thing was about $60, less the QDs.

Looks good, but you probably want to pot that element somehow. Open connections + hot wort = nothing good

<points up>: I have a PVC cap that fits over the end nicely. it's just cropped out of the photo.

Not to to derail this, but I'd love to see the PVC cap; I'm looking to do something similar.

Back