Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
duty_calls.png

To all the "I think you hit the nail on the head" explainers:

You think that just because a show is about beer, that all of us are supposed to like it? This series is a big fluff monster on a roller coaster. I'd just rather shut off the TV and go do some work in the garage. I'm not much of a TV watcher, and sorry, but this show failed to capture my attention.

I had only one expectation of the series. It has to do with the fact that the title is in the plural form, BrewMasters, as in, more than just one.

I didn't know who the hec SC is, not a groopie, and don't drink DFH beer. It's too expensive. I like Miles Davis. I enjoyed the tour of his brewery. But like many shows on cable these days, I don't respond well to the pretentiousness and "choreographed spontaneity." Hec, the guy drives a "rusty truck" that has most definitely been modified to preserve "the look." I felt like someone is bull****ting me. And I don't like that. The heavy dose of the whole wacky and zany glitz turned me off too.

I'm happy that Sam is a successful man, with a nice brewery, loyal employees, and his very own TV show. This is all very nice. I'm happy for him, and most definitely do not feel any hatred toward the man.

But the whole style and format is not for me. Like I said, I am not much of a TV watcher. I held on until the very end when the kicker came in. Next week we get more Sam. :confused: So, this is not going to be about brewmasters, as in plural? Just Sam?

<click>

Just a quick question: did the idea, effort, and execution of creating a beer the way they did not interest you? Because I feel like that was what the show was really about. It was about taking a concpet and creating a beer out of it. As well, it was the fomulation of the recipe and the execution of an important brewing project without the usual window of time required to pull off something like that.

The extra stuff (rapping, introduction to the staff, the brewing process... etc) seems to me to be the first episode type of formalities. I doubt they'll do all of that stuff much anymore. But they won't cut down on the "entertainment" side of the show, rather they simply won't be repetitive.

Please don't take my questions the wrong way, I'm not trying to point fingers and claim that this show is the best thing ever, I just wonder if, since brewing is our hobby here, you were interested in watching the actual brewing process of the show. I found at least that part kind of cool. And I've brewed in a large brewery before.

And lastly, isn't it possible that you weren't being "bull****ted." That Sam is really just that silly on a daily basis? That his truck may just be really old and he likes to drive it? And that the few brewers that we saw are the only ones at his brewery? Most owners are the face of their brewery, not necessarily the "head brewer," after all.

I wondering how much time, effort, and thought Sam put into his first Mod: removing a working AC unit.

Just a quick question: did the idea, effort, and execution of creating a beer the way they did not interest you? Because I feel like that was what the show was really about.

You are correct. It did interest me. It's just that I'm not big on watching TV, and I could get that sort of inspiration and information elsewhere without having to sit through the "entertainment." It's just not my bag.

And lastly, isn't it possible that you weren't being "bull****ted." That Sam is really just that silly on a daily basis?

Could be you are correct again. This could just be the real Sam. :drunk:

You are correct. It did interest me. It's just that I'm not big on watching TV, and I could get that sort of inspiration and information elsewhere without having to sit through the "entertainment." It's just not my bag.

Could be you are correct again. This could just be the real Sam. :drunk:

Cool :mug:

I thought the show was OK. Good premise and I don't mind the "dumbing down" aspect so much. I think what I really disliked was Sam doing the narration. His narration is just... off. It sounds too much like he's reading straight from a scrip, which, when you have no acting ability, sounds really bad.

His narration was a billion times better than this jackhole's...

And um, have you ever, uh, tried to do a voiceover recording, um, without a script? No? STFU.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the show was great. It was more than I expected. I like how he talked about beer history and actually talked about some more technical details of brewing such as what specialty grains are and the fermentation and aging processes a bit. I think it was a good representation of an amazing brewery. As for the quality of DFH beers, they are one of my favorites. I respect the fact that they do things their own way. I really believe that Emerson quote that Sam read at the beginning defines their philosophy. Create something of value and people who appreciate it will get on board. A great example is their 90 minute IPA -- it's a malty, sweet IPA -- very very different than the majority of Imperial IPAs out there that are overwhelmed with late-edition hops. I like those too but I really appreciate the uniqueness of a 90 minute.

As for the rapping and goofing around -- this is brewing we're talking about here -- not heart surgery. If you can't have fun brewing then I don't want to do it!

:mug:

Just watched it for the first time myself. I thought it was great, made me want to experiment with some different ingredients. I don't understand why people are complaining so much. Television shows must be made to appeal to a wide range of people so obviously there will be parts that you like and parts that you don't. If you want something that's tailored exactly for you that you can watch and be entertained, go stare at your gun collection.

again, it s TELEVISION. of course its complete crap, but would you rather watch jersey shore???

I also thought that it was a good show, and have it TiVo'd ready for next weeks episode. I am sure that is really Sam's truck, and I like it...I wouldn't drive it myself but it goes to show that he is a normal person jsut like anyone else, I am sure that it is a ball to work in and with an organization like that. I wish them all the best, and wish there was a good local brewery like that near me!! :mug:

I just watched the first episode and I was of two minds about it.

First, it is cool that Sam is showing us some of his thought process and how he starts to put together a recipe.

Second, it is one long commercial for Dogfish Head. I like their stuff, but it seems like the whole show is dedicated to getting you to buy Dogfish Head.

Hopefully, it will focus more on the former rather than the later. I'll give it a couple more episodes, but I hope that Sam will visit with other breweries.

And um, have you ever, uh, tried to do a voiceover recording, um, without a script? No? STFU.

I'm not criticizing him for reading from a script. Of course almost all narration is done with a script. I'm criticizing him about how he SOUNDS like he's reading from a script, and makes it sound fake. One can read from a script and not sound like it, which is what makes one a good narrator (hence my reference to the ability to act). I probably couldn't do any better than Sam, but that's why I don't do narration.

To all the "I think you hit the nail on the head" explainers:

You think that just because a show is about beer, that all of us are supposed to like it? This series is a big fluff monster on a roller coaster. I'd just rather shut off the TV and go do some work in the garage. I'm not much of a TV watcher, and sorry, but this show failed to capture my attention.

I had only one expectation of the series. It has to do with the fact that the title is in the plural form, BrewMasters, as in, more than just one.

I didn't know who the hec SC is, not a groopie, and don't drink DFH beer. It's too expensive. I like Miles Davis. I enjoyed the tour of his brewery. But like many shows on cable these days, I don't respond well to the pretentiousness and "choreographed spontaneity." Hec, the guy drives a "rusty truck" that has most definitely been modified to preserve "the look." I felt like someone is bull****ting me. And I don't like that. The heavy dose of the whole wacky and zany glitz turned me off too.

I'm happy that Sam is a successful man, with a nice brewery, loyal employees, and his very own TV show. This is all very nice. I'm happy for him, and most definitely do not feel any hatred toward the man.

But the whole style and format is not for me. Like I said, I am not much of a TV watcher. I held on until the very end when the kicker came in. Next week we get more Sam. :confused: So, this is not going to be about brewmasters, as in plural? Just Sam?

<click>

great, then dont watch it..

I don't understand why people are complaining so much.

because, as we
"I think you hit the nail on the head" explainers:
mentioned...

some people just like to stir the pot.

I totally agree with revvy here:
I think all three of you hit the nail on the head. On the internets bashing is the norm. No matter how good something may be, there's bound to be a few nay sayers, and I think a lot of it IS jealousy.

EDIT: P.S.... "explainers," really?

I just finished watching "Bitches Brew" I found it very enjoyable and entertaining after all thats IS why its on the tele isn't it?

you can't please every one all of the time.

-=jason=-

because, as we mentioned...

some people just like to stir the pot.

I totally agree with revvy here:

cf. "jealousy"

EDIT: P.S.... "explainers," really?

Yeah, I think these are getting to the heart of it; unfortunately, these types of comments can be observed on virtually any Internet forum. My favorite theory is that anonymity breeds volubility. I experienced this during my many years as a union rep. Union members who would sedulously fawn and suck up to management when they were there in person would be incredibly abusive behind their backs. Those same people were always very, very happy to have someone else run interference for them, but if pushed, would always make it very clear that they would NEVER step up in person, and regarded the paying of their dues as equivalent of a retainer to a lawyer. Probably tends of thousands of years of evolution places the better bet on survival in just keeping one's head down.

I keep trying to convince myself not to even get involved in this discussion...but alas....

I don't understand the hate. I just really don't. Sam does what he loves for a living and seems to be a genuine, fun guy. His "pain relievaz" schtick was most likely tossed into the show because discovery thought it would keep the show more light hearted and mask the obvious intent of Sony being there....to advertise the new release of Miles Davis' album. No big deal. Sam's been making those albums for fun for years, it's nothing new. He's been having fun doing it and will continue to do it.

You don't like DFH beers? There are a lot of people who DO like them. If I say that I don't like a Geueze are you going to tar and feather me? What if I don't like IPAs? Everyone has a different palate so just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it's no good. If it tastes good, who cares about what the traditional recipe would call for. Does the BJCP need to oversee each recipe to make sure that all of the elements fit to style?

"But...but...but....his beers are underattenuated! They're overspiced! He doesn't brew the way that I want him to!" GET OVER YOURSELF! DFH is making beers the way that Sam and his team WANT to. Do you really think that they can't hit the exact gravities that they want? Do you really think that they don't KNOW all about hop isomerization and what happens when you add hops at a certain time in the boil? Give me a freaking break. Sam made beers that he, and other people, liked and made a career out of it. Don't like it? DON'T DRINK IT. (and don't go whining about it on a forum either...)

All in all the show was pretty much what I expected it to be: light and enjoyable with the slightest bit of technical talk thrown in. There's no need to touch on the technical topic because that horse has already been beaten to death a thousand times in this thread.

I think all three of you hit the nail on the head. On the internets bashing is the norm. No matter how good something may be, there's bound to be a few nay sayers, and I think a lot of it IS jealousy.

Hell look at what started to be a really nice thread about Jim Koch, and an amazing piece of customer service, imho.

Interesting, Jim Koch made a video to answer my question on facebook and at least one person has to come on and piss in the swimming pool.

I mean my god, some folks actually think something that we worship like beers actually merits getting it's own tv show? And it actually gets any intelligent coverage, let alone a 10 weeks show devoted to it, and folks gotta hate on it. We should be celebrating, this is really the first time beer has been taken somewhat seriously on national tv. It's going to do, like Bobby said, and TON of good PR for the craft brew industry (you don't think a bunch of BMC drinkers are going to be hunting down bitches brew whether they may end up liking it or not?) For every 10 or 50 bud light drinkers who try one of these beers, I bet we have at least 1-2 who decide to broaden their horizons. And we may even get a few homebrewers out of the mix. I don't think that's bad at all.

Well said, again, Revy.

just watched the show last night (dvr'd it). thought it was pretty good. didn't really care for the hip hop parts but all in all thought it was pretty good. the previews for the next episode looked interesting with the "spit" beer. think I would pass on that brew :cross:

just watched the show last night (dvr'd it). thought it was pretty good. didn't really care for the hip hop parts but all in all thought it was pretty good. the previews for the next episode looked interesting with the "spit" beer. think I would pass on that brew :cross:

YOU ARE WRONG

Dont you know that spit beer is the best and BMC is satan incarnate? I don't care about your opinion, becase the FACT is that I prefer only what is ACTUALLY good, and there is no room from opinion. If you don't like what I like, then you are wrong.

Sounds like a good summation of internet blasting, right? Just messing with ya superjunior, in spirit of idiots on the internet!

And actually... I prefer to drink bud light on football sunday.

I keep trying to convince myself not to even get involved in this discussion...but alas....

I don't understand the hate. I just really don't. Sam does what he loves for a living and seems to be a genuine, fun guy. His "pain relievaz" schtick was most likely tossed into the show because discovery thought it would keep the show more light hearted and mask the obvious intent of Sony being there....to advertise the new release of Miles Davis' album. No big deal. Sam's been making those albums for fun for years, it's nothing new. He's been having fun doing it and will continue to do it.

You don't like DFH beers? There are a lot of people who DO like them. If I say that I don't like a Geueze are you going to tar and feather me? What if I don't like IPAs? Everyone has a different palate so just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it's no good. If it tastes good, who cares about what the traditional recipe would call for. Does the BJCP need to oversee each recipe to make sure that all of the elements fit to style?

"But...but...but....his beers are underattenuated! They're overspiced! He doesn't brew the way that I want him to!" GET OVER YOURSELF! DFH is making beers the way that Sam and his team WANT to. Do you really think that they can't hit the exact gravities that they want? Do you really think that they don't KNOW all about hop isomerization and what happens when you add hops at a certain time in the boil? Give me a freaking break. Sam made beers that he, and other people, liked and made a career out of it. Don't like it? DON'T DRINK IT. (and don't go whining about it on a forum either...)

All in all the show was pretty much what I expected it to be: light and enjoyable with the slightest bit of technical talk thrown in. There's no need to touch on the technical topic because that horse has already been beaten to death a thousand times in this thread.

:tank::mug: Congratulations! You win the interwebz (at least for a day :mug::tank:

After watching the show, the SWMBO asked me to buy some DFH, so she could try it. So I bought her a six pack of 60 minute IPA. She liked it, and that surprised me. I didn't think it was too bad either. Not something I would go out an buy every week.

Pretty good show ... a few inaccurate statements regarding beer history. however apart from that I thought it was a fun show.

Hope there are visits to many breweries and not just those in the US ...

Why does a difference in opinion have to be labeled as hate? Sounds to me like some people hate opinion. Or were you just expressing a different opinion yourself?

I don't understand the hate. I just really don't.

Neither do I. All I did was express an opinion that I didn't like the show enough to watch it again.

I never suggested that anyone should not watch the show, that it shouldn't be on the air, or that it "sucked."

But boy-oh-boy some people really love to get all "righteous" and "defensive" cause they somehow read into a dissenting opinion "hate" and suggest that the poster have better things to do than offer up an opinion that is contrary to their own.

There's the hate for ya....

Pretty good show ... a few inaccurate statements regarding beer history. however apart from that I thought it was a fun show.

Hope there are visits to many breweries and not just those in the US ...

sounds like they will be travelling the world... so hopefully we will be seeing lots of interesting things.

I have an actual question about the show.

How is it that they can take a batch from brewing to bottle in only three weeks? I think that is what they said anyway, I may have misunderstood.

I have an actual question about the show.

How is it that they can take a batch from brewing to bottle in only three weeks? I think that is what they said anyway, I may have misunderstood.

good question.

I think someone answered that earlier in the thread..

Ill paraphrase what I took from the post.

the conical fermenters used in larger breweries allow increased fermentation temperature (and thus decreased ferm. time) without the associated off flavor because of the hydraulic pressure on the yeast.

if you go back a few pages, you can see the full post (and someone please correct me if i misread).

I liked the show. I thought it was fun to see the inside of a brewery. I also like Sam Calagione, read his book. The problem I do have is that it is a discovery channel show they are all the same. Trying to create unnecessary drama and tension. I really dont like reality TV shows but I will watch Brew Masters because of the topic and the host.

Also like some others have said I hope he travels to other breweries not just brewing at dogfish head

Latest posts

Back