Mead with Muscadines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesrm

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Been pondering brewing a mead for a long time, how would mead with honey and muscadines work out? I make muscadine and scumpernon <s> wine with home grown berries currently and brew AG beer, but have been wanting to try a mead for awhile and figured this would be fun.

James,

I left a message on the Tennessee Brewers sig about the muscadines but haven't heard back so found this board. I would be interested in knowing more about the gapes you have in the freezer as I'm thinking of making 5 gallon batch of wine. I may not have anything worth trading so perhaps another arraignment would do.
Have you ever approached Beechaven winery in Clarksville about purchasing your grape crop? They do buy grapes from local growers.
About mead. I've made some and used fruit concentrates with local honey. A couple of the batches were very good and a couple sucked. Making Melomel mead with grapes isn't much different than plain honey mead. I have a link to some serious mead makers if you'd like it.
Please let me know about the grapes and if you'd like the link.
As for growing hops here in Tennessee...I would think that the area in White House where the grapes are would also be ideal for hops. They need a bit of start up care and soil conditioning but pretty much go wild after that. I grew some last year and had a very small harvest of Kent Goldings which I'm about to put into 2nd stage for a hoppier pale ale. I'm hoping to have a better harvest this coming year. I'll help you as I can about that if you'd like...though I'm just learning myself.
Thanks! Kevin

That sounds like a great idea. My father has some muscadine vines at his house in the NW GA mountains, I might try to make a pyment (mead w/ grape) sometime this summer/fall when the muscadines ripen!

Neal

Back