Newport hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltimore

Reaction score
Just planted my first Newport hops three weeks ago and they're going crazy. Thought I'd start thinking about some good beers for them. I heard a rumor they are big at the rogue brewery but my hop growing books don't mention them. Any ideas?

Not a lot of literature on them from my experiences so far. I made an all-Newport ale last harvest that may have been the tastiest beer I have made thus far. I think they'd be great for bittering IPA's or pales. Although reputed as having little aroma, I found that not to be the case (I used them pretty liberally). Because of a mistake regarding storage, I did not have enough to make more than one batch from my first harvest.
Taking someone's advice, I brewed a SMASH so I could really get a sense of the hop. I would recommend that you do the same. THe taste of this hop was a bit unusual, so it is hard to say "they remind me of _______."

Going to try to give you a glimpse of my year one Newports. I have changed my trellis set-up a bit to provide more flowering bine length, and hope to do even better this year now that I have seem vague inkling of what I am doing.

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

100_1709.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

jessox80 said:
Going to try to give you a glimpse of my year one Newports. I have changed my trellis set-up a bit to provide more flowering bine length, and hope to do even better this year now that I have seem vague inkling of what I am doing.

Man! I'll be A happy man if I get those kinds of yields in the first year. Thanks for all the advice!

Back