Parts for electric heatstick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebben

Reaction score
I just spent 40 minutes checking different aisles at HD for the parts necessary to close up the heatstick that I'm building for my HLT. It seems that the hex portion of the element is about 1 1/2" wide or slightly larger. At this point, I guess a 1 1/2" pipe would work, but I can't figure out how the element mounts to the pipe since the threaded portion of the element is 1" diameter ... it is like I need a 1 1/2" cap that is cut open to 1" in the middle, preferably with a thread...right?

Are there any off the shelf components that would make this go that a plumbing shop or something might have that HD or Lowes just doesn't? Or is this supposed to be a leaky fit with lots of JBweld holding everything together where the heatstick mounts to the 1 1/2" pipe?

I've found a few howto's online , and so far none are explicit in this spot.

I didn't use the threaded part of the element to attach it to the pipe. I used the nut that came with the pipe. You're using 1 1/2" drain pipe, right?

When you thread the nut down on the pipe over the element it'll hold it in place. You then fill in the small gaps and make sure all the cracks underneath the nut are sealed with whatever foodgrade, high temp sealant (suggest W-B weld). I have two of them like this and they work great. Let me see if I can find my camera to take some pics, i'll post some pics for you to see.

[edit]
Added pics so you can see:
attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

?

The element that I got has a threaded top, rubber ring, and a hex shaped bit that the insulated part is connected to. It is pretty much like this one:
42700.jpg

Is there a fitting that is big enough to thread onto the drain pipe (1 1/2"), and also be able to allow the element piece+threaded end of the element out the top? Or does it just need a sloppy fit to the drain pipe+cap with a hole in it, then a 1" nut keep the element to the cap of the drain pipe?

So I'm looking for a 1 1/2" metal cap that fits on a drain pipe...where are these most readily found?

I think I understand your quandry, the 1 1/2" drain is kind of a sloppy oversuzed fit. I actually use 1 1/4 drain pipe and put the element on my grinder to reduce it to fit nicely.

Like this.......Drainpipe - element - Drainpipe cap nut

Latest posts

Back