best way to convert partial boil recipes to Full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
Alright, this year Im gonna start doing full boils. But most of the beer I brew comes from kits provided from the LHB or sites like NorthernBrewer. I plan on changing my boil volume to about 5.75 - 5.8 gallons to handle the boil-off. However, the hops amounts have me worried.

I understand that with full boils you get better hop utilization. Therefore I would assume you need less hops that the partial boil kit would require. So... is there a rule of thumb or a calculation or a program that will help me redesign my hopping amounts?

Alright, this year Im gonna start doing full boils. But most of the beer I brew comes from kits provided from the LHB or sites like NorthernBrewer. I plan on changing my boil volume to about 5.75 - 5.8 gallons to handle the boil-off. However, the hops amounts have me worried.

I understand that with full boils you get better hop utilization. Therefore I would assume you need less hops that the partial boil kit would require. So... is there a rule of thumb or a calculation or a program that will help me redesign my hopping amounts?

In short, don't worry. The difference is negligible, and it's not boil volume that determines utilization anyway. It used to be thought so, but recently that's been disproven. You can just go ahead and hop according to the recipe for almost all recipes. If it's a super low IBU recipe (say, a light lager), dropping the bittering hops only by 20% may be needed, but that's the exception and not the rule.

Back