Flameout Hop Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhern053

Reaction score
It takes a while to chill wort here in Miami, and sometimes I worry that my late addition hops (especially flameout additions) aren't being utilized correctly. (Maybe they're bittering more than I want them to.)

So I'm thinking of transferring the wort to another kettle - straining the hops out along the way - and THEN begin chilling.

How long should I let a flameout addition soak before transferring and chilling the wort?

30 seconds to a minute IMO. However, be careful of HSA (Hot Side Aeration). I know some people think it's the boogey man, but if you are transferring to cool the wort down, you are likely exposing it to a lot of Oxygen at dangerous temperatures.

I forgot to mention that straining the hops out will likely not make any difference. The hop oils are already separated from the leafs and are in the wort.

Hmmm... Ok. That makes sense. Thanks for your input. I won't worry about it then. Thanks.

When it's 90 degrees outside I use a bucket filled with ice water and a cheap sump pump to pump my ice water through my IC. I only use the ice water after I get my wort down to about 90f using tap water. I only use 2 bags of ice and I can get my wort down to 62f easily using this method. My whole chilling process takes about 25 minutes this way.

bctdi said:
When it's 90 degrees outside I use a bucket filled with ice water and a cheap sump pump to pump my ice water through my IC. I only use the ice water after I get my wort down to about 90f using tap water. I only use 2 bags of ice and I can get my wort down to 62f easily using this method. My whole chilling process takes about 25 minutes this way.

Edit: make sure to recirculate the ice water back to the ice bucket

Latest posts

Back