Mr. Malty confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdiver87

Reaction score
I mainly use dry yeast because my LHBS doesn't carry much liquid yeast and the ones he does have are usually very old. For most all of my beers I rehydrate the yeast and then pitch. I am planning an imperial stout that should have an OG of 1.100. According to Mr. Malty I will need to pitch 3.7 packs of yeast. If I rehydrate the yeast do I still need to pitch almost 4 of the 5g packs?

i punched in the numbers assuming your making a 5.25gal batch. Make a 1.7L starter with intermittent shaking and 2 packs of dry yeast should do the trick.

2 packs sounds right, if you are using the 11.5 gram size. 1.100 is a big beer. Typical wisdom is that you don't make a starter with dry yeast, just rehydrate it.

If I rehydrate the yeast do I still need to pitch almost 4 of the 5g packs?

Yes. Rehydrating doesn't increase the cell count.

That is using 5gram packs

As a side note. That is for a production date of today. An older production date may require more.

My mistake, I don't know why I was looking at the 5g yeast pack numbers when I use the good ol' 11.5g packs. In that case just rehydrate the 2 packs and pitch. Thanks!!

My mistake, I don't know why I was looking at the 5g yeast pack numbers when I use the good ol' 11.5g packs. In that case just rehydrate the 2 packs and pitch. Thanks!!

Like someone else said above, the production date matters but you might be okay. Good luck!

I'll be sure to check the production dates on the packs I have. Thanks everyone for the responses!!!

Out of curiosity, why don't you make a starter with dry yeast?

Mostly because there are already sufficient cells in the 11g packages for pitching into normal gravity, 5 gallon batches. Another reason is that dry yeast is packaged with nutrient reserves that are used by the cells when pitched into the wort. If you pitch them into a wort-based starter, they are depleted. The conventional thinking is that it is more beneficial to have the nutrients present during initial reproduction and fermentation stages in the actual wort/beer rather than a starter.

Back