My first stinky fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Well, I brewed up a blonde ale Monday morning, and pitched White Labs #WLP023 Burton Ale yeast. Lag time was about 15hrs, and as of after midnight and this morning, it's been going at anywhere from 75-100 bubbles per minute. However, this morning, I went over to check it, and noticed the dreaded rotten egg sulphur smell. I just went back into the master bedroom(!) where I've got it, and I could notice the smell when I walked through the doorway.

Has anyone ever used this yeast before? Any idea how long the smell will take to fade out? So far SWMBO hasn't noticed it, but she's in class right now, and I imagine coming back from the outside world into the house will give her a fresh olfactory perspective, so to speak, and I could get busted. Any suggestions on how to control the smell? I can't really put the carboy outside right now; it's about 46ºF out there. If it were in the 50s I'd throw it out there for a few hours and hope for the best, but as it stands, I'll have to keep it inside.

Haven't used that one before, but I will say that when I brewed my hefe, that shyte stunk all to hell...but the stench blew off during secondary and the bottled brew is absolutely delicious.

Light a candle is all I can say.

Back