My neighbor's mulberry wine smells like feet...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floyd242

Reaction score
I know nothing about wine making and just got into beer brewing. I've been sharing with the neighbor and he brought over some mulberry wine he made from my mulberry trees and it smells like feet (sulfur maybe?). I told him I would post up here and see if anyone knew of a way to get rid of the smell.

All I know is that he started the wine about 4-5 months ago and he told me he used merlot yeast...

Thanks!

I think wines need 6mos to a year, and feet may be sulphur yes..> Yooper would be the perfect reply here, as she does wines and beers. If its a yeast smell, aging will get rid of it... there are also common additives all wine makers use to mellow things but I don't recall them (read on it once but since I don't do wine its fallen out of my head)

I've got a 6g batch of grape wine that became a sulphur factory after fermentation was complete. I couldn't even taste the must it was so horrid. Then I read this page: http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/hydrogen_sulfide.htm

First step, the 4 rackings, didn't do it. I was freaking out, thinking I'd wasted 10 hours of my life destemming and crushing and blah blah blah. But, right now I'm filtering through/over some copper tubing and it's seriously removing every last hint of sulphur aroma from the must. I'm drinking it right now, with a smile on my face!

What i did was found a ~6 ft piece of copper tubing that I think is used for the water supply for a fridge. I'm just running from my auto-siphon tubing into this, with a small adapter. It's really slow, but I think that's helping with the effectiveness. The website just says to rig up something like copper flashing and let the must run over it. I can't help but think my system is a little more efficient than that. :p Good luck.

I've got a 6g batch of grape wine that became a sulphur factory after fermentation was complete. I couldn't even taste the must it was so horrid. Then I read this page: http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/hydrogen_sulfide.htm

First step, the 4 rackings, didn't do it. I was freaking out, thinking I'd wasted 10 hours of my life destemming and crushing and blah blah blah. But, right now I'm filtering through/over some copper tubing and it's seriously removing every last hint of sulphur aroma from the must. I'm drinking it right now, with a smile on my face!

What i did was found a ~6 ft piece of copper tubing that I think is used for the water supply for a fridge. I'm just running from my auto-siphon tubing into this, with a small adapter. It's really slow, but I think that's helping with the effectiveness. The website just says to rig up something like copper flashing and let the must run over it. I can't help but think my system is a little more efficient than that. :p Good luck.

The copper didn't work for our sulfur, but bubbling CO2 through it did.

There is still a hint of a touch of sulfur in the scent, but none in the taste. It was an Island Mist blackberry merlot recipe.

Latest posts

Back