Cheap Uncrushed Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I'd want to buy bulk malt online. There is significant savings in driving to the LHBS (over an hour away) compared to paying for shipping. At least I can also shop for other things while I'm there and have it in under 3 hours.

I think I paid $40 for 50 lb. sacks of both Pale 2-row and Breiss Pilsner malt. That comes out to 80 cents per lb.

Yeah your best bet is likely to be finding a local homebrew supply place, brewery, maltster, etc. and asking about bulk prices for a sack. Ordering online you are never going to get as good a deal due to shipping costs.

My LHBS will sell sacks of 2-row for $40 plus I get a club discount there so it ends up being more like $38. There is no online store that is even remotely competitive with that price.

My LHBS will sell sacks of 2-row for $40 plus I get a club discount there so it ends up being more like $38. There is no online store that is even remotely competitive with that price.

If you are close to Riverside or make your way over there sometimes. morebeer has 50lbs of 2-row for $32

If you are close to Riverside or make your way over there sometimes. morebeer has 50lbs of 2-row for $32

Yeah, I know about that deal. However, the last time I was out that way was on a Sunday, so even though I was driving right by the store it didn't matter. And, due to the gas and excessive drive time it's not worth a trip just for the grain.

Yeah, I know about that deal. However, the last time I was out that way was on a Sunday, so even though I was driving right by the store it didn't matter. And, due to the gas and excessive drive time it's not worth a trip just for the grain.

Just noticed that the Riverside store is closed on Sundays :( the other 2 are open 10-5 on Sundays.

my lhbs sells a 50 lb sack for $52, not too awesome.

If you go online for specialty grains you can save some $$. Shipping isn't a big deal with some of the retailers that have flat rate shipping (brewmasters warehouse, austin homebrew supply)

Do you have any Microbreweries/brewpubs close to you? Sometimes they will let you add on to their order, minimizing shipping. Also, they may just sell you a sack for a reasonable rate.

It's not worth the drive if you have to drive a long ways, but if you can get a group buy together, or get in on a brewing club nearby, you can shave even more off.

Flat rate shipping from the online places is great, but they do not offer that on large sacks. Most online places are comparable for price, but some have better than average service.

My first sack of 2-row I got from a brewery that I was just stopping by to check out. The owner talked to the brewer and they could spare a sack, and sold it to me for going rate, $40. The place it called Right Brain Brewing in Traverse City, MI. I don't mind talking them up. The brewer is a hardworking, creative person and they make some great beer. Check them out if you are up that way.

#1 Northcountry malt. i Just orderd 55#pale and 33 munich shipped to my house for $42

Find a chef that orders from Gordon Food Service out of Grand Rapids MI. They offer Briess 2 row and it is drop shipped to the restaurant. Last time it was $26. I try to keep my beer friends well stocked.

That's what I thought until I ordered it. I buy by the pallet, so the shipping is a flat rate for the pallet. It was $75, but I ordered 1500 lbs, so it spreads out nicely.

kaneklapqo6.gif

Find a chef that orders from Gordon Food Service out of Grand Rapids MI. They offer Briess 2 row and it is drop shipped to the restaurant. Last time it was $26. I try to keep my beer friends well stocked.

Hmm... I have checked with Gordon's in Cadillac, and they could not even find it in their system! I would totally hit that up for $26! Is 2-row all they have?

That's what I thought until I ordered it. I buy by the pallet, so the shipping is a flat rate for the pallet. It was $75, but I ordered 1500 lbs, so it spreads out nicely.

I see, one persons bulk is another persons BULK!:rockin:

Hard to get under $1/lb for mere mortals! Either LHBS at $50/bag or mail order ~ $50+ with shipping. Hmmm....

If you're willing to put in the work for a group buy and you know some other brewers in the area, you can get the same price.

I saw the prices in my LHBS, $60/50# pale, $73/55# Maris Otter, and I knew I couldn't pay that. I had to find an alternative route.

Mid Country Malt.

You can get anything you want really...

55 pound sacks

You can buy just one sack if you like

About $.65/lb for anything you want

I can drive there and pick it up, so free shipping

This is why I have about 300 pounds in stock...

Hmm... I have checked with Gordon's in Cadillac, and they could not even find it in their system! I would totally hit that up for $26! Is 2-row all they have?

Was that at a Marketplace store? I think it has to be ordered from a sales associate and through a restaurant. Its a special order. And two row is all they have.

Mid Country Malt.

You can get anything you want really...

55 pound sacks

You can buy just one sack if you like

About $.65/lb for anything you want

I can drive there and pick it up, so free shipping

This is why I have about 300 pounds in stock...

I'm jealous

I'll be checking this out today! :mug:

Darn I don't know any restaurant owners, I do love GFS marketplace though. I asked them about 2-row about a year ago and got a no. Maybe I can convince them to call a salesperson at GFS hmm... OTOH I'm set for now thanks to the group buy RC0032 put together.

Flat rate shipping from the online places is great, but they do not offer that on large sacks. Most online places are comparable for price, but some have better than average service.

I admit i've never ordered grains in bulk from brewmasters warehouse, but i'm 99% sure Ed offers flat rate shipping on grains in bulk. I'm sure he can weigh in on it.

Also, in case anyone looks, his prices are priced the same whether you order 1 lb or the full sack. He doesn't charge more for orders that don't buy full sacks, so you get a bulk price regardless of how much you buy. It's not as good as group buys, but for those who can't get in on them, the prices and flat shipping are awesome. Service is fantastic too.

I admit i've never ordered grains in bulk from brewmasters warehouse, but i'm 99% sure Ed offers flat rate shipping on grains in bulk. I'm sure he can weigh in on it.

Also, in case anyone looks, his prices are priced the same whether you order 1 lb or the full sack. He doesn't charge more for orders that don't buy full sacks, so you get a bulk price regardless of how much you buy. It's not as good as group buys, but for those who can't get in on them, the prices and flat shipping are awesome. Service is fantastic too.

This is 100% correct. To buy a sack just type 50 or 55 lbs into the quantity. Everything is part of the flat rate shipping.

Thanks Donner

Ed

Still reasonable, I have about 50# in my cart with some hops and other things for about $80 shipped. Not bad considering it's a mix of domestic and import base malts and some specialty malts. A sack of pale runs me about $55-$60 shipped from B3 or Williams.

I am buying in bulk from the Mid Country with no shipping charge, so I am lucky at $.65/pound for basically anything I want. But... item price means little when you add shipping.

50 pounds Briess 2-Row (no BULK discount) from BMW shipped (flat rate) is $64.49

50 pounds Rahr 2-Row at the BULK discount from Rebel is $84.83

You can always beat somone on item price, much harder to do on SHIPPED price, which matters.

Back