Can I use screw tops on stubby glass bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tridean

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Found this forum after wanting to know if I can use screw top glass bottles. I found a post on the subject after a doing a search but after answering it, I realized it was in the cider forum and not specific to my question, so I've posted it here.

I am a coopers pale ale drinker (I am from Australia),and the brew I have just started is of course Coppers pale ale.

The thing is, I like to drink out of stubbies, which for those not living in Australia,is a 375 ml glass bottle, and Coopers sell the stubbie with a screw lid.

So, my question is, can I bottle my brew in these same glass bottles, using the same screw on lids, and if so, is there a tool that would enable me to get the lids on tighter than what could be done with my bare hands? (I'm assuming because the lids are designed as screw offs, that using the standard bottle cap tool with a hammer is not the best method?)

Many thanks guys, and glad I found this forum as my brew did not start bubbling in the first few hours as what suggested in the manual and so I started to panic, and this forum was the first I found when I googled for help!

Dean

Generally, screw top bottles will not work. What is it that you specifically like about the bottle? There may be an alternative that you can find with a pry off top. I googled "coopers stubbie" and saw what the bottle looks like, which is very similar to Red Stripe bottles (which I believe are pry offs) but I don't know if they are available in Australia....

You'll have to track down new screw caps, trying to re-use the old ones won't work. Once the seal is crushed, it won't re-form. Some screw-top bottles can be capped with standard caps, don't know about Cooper's stubbies.

Back