Drilling the sides of my GE fridge this week...should be safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbehr

Reaction score
Well I'm installing my shiny new Perlick taps that Santa brought me this weekend into my newish GE GTS18IBRXRWW refrigerator. From what I've read I "should" be safe and should probably drill a small pilot hole and feel around. I will do this but would be rather annoyed if I hit something and then just had a small pilot hole and had to move my taps to another location. I did use my laser heat gun and slowly scanned the sides and it read a steady 52(stored in garage) +/- one degree...not sure if that's helpful or not?

Can anyone smarter than me see if it looks like I'll be safe?

https://www.partadvantage.com/lookup/206300/1417505
http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=GTS18IBRWW

Make a paste of baking soda and rubbing alcohol. Make sure the unit is running and then smear that paste all over the location you want to drill. INSIDE and OUT!
The heat difference will cause the alcohol to dry quicker or slower where the lines run under the skin of the outside and inside.
Or, if you have any firefighter friends, take it to the fire house and plug it in and let them use their nifty infared heat cameras to exactly pinpoint the location of each line!

Is there a diagram of the coolant lines on the back of the fridge? If it shows they are on the back you should be all set.

That fridge is just like mine. There's nothing but insulation on the sides. Some people love it, some hate it, but FWIW this was the easiest way to get the most variety out of my fridge. All that **** won't fit inside with the kegs without being an f'n mess.

IMAG0030.jpg

I'm drilling through the sides as the picture above shows. I didn't want to drill through the door as I still want to be able to use as much of the fridge for bottles as possible. Looks like I'll be good if Double D says he has the same fridge! I did read about the baking soda smear method but figured if there was a heat difference my temp gun would have picked it up?

The only diagrams I can find are the ones posted above.

Yep, worked great. Used a cheap 1" hole saw with no problems. LOVE having beer and tap and not using those crappy little picnic taps!! Why does this picture light right in my photbucket account but is sideways here??

Taps_zps6a24cab0.jpg

Latest posts

Back