Airlock sanitizer reversing direction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
What should I do?
Norther Brewer number 8
In the secondary glass carboy 5 gallon
58 degrees at two weeks now
There was a bubbling every two minutes up until I just checked it
The airlock water is now just above the max line closest to the bung

You can pull it off and just stick it back on. The reason it's doing that is because the liquid inside the fermenter is cooler now (maybe due to a weather change where you are, or just fermentation stopping) and that causes a vacuum.

Using vodka instead of sanitizer in the fermentation lock just in case something like that happens.

You can pull it off and just stick it back on. The reason it's doing that is because the liquid inside the fermenter is cooler now (maybe due to a weather change where you are, or just fermentation stopping) and that causes a vacuum.

^^+1 You got a storm heading your way, or the barometer dropped. That time of year.... I had a bucket do it two days ago, but I use cheap vodka. In either case no worries. You could warm it up a couple degrees, say 60F. Cheers:mug:

Pressure changes most likely as there was a squall that came in yesterday and yesterday was quite blustery with gusts up to 45 mph. The temp did not change and has been around 58 for a few weeks now. Thnx for the good words people!

BTW: The number eight really does have the nose of a Rochefort 8, amazing!

We've had that squall for the last couple of days here too. But in this situation,I get a little suck back as well,& did as yooper suggested to you. It's quick & easy to equalize pressures. Also why I use cheap vodka in my airlocks. Got that one from one of Gary Martin's old videos. Makes me wish his Home Brewer TV was still around.

Back