Cider from Apple Pomace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am fairly new to homebrewing, but I had an idea. My family buys lots of deer apples to feed our horses and other pets during the winter. They are great, and the farmer we get them from makes cider. I've already bought some cider from hiim and it is bubbling away in the air lock, but I was thinking about getting some apple pomace from him. My idea is to take the apple pomace, mix it with water and sugar and ferment it. So it would kind of be like ciderkin.....then strain off the apple pomace and rack the resulting drink into secondary.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? I've seen some threads where people talk about fermenting ciderkin, but they seem to be talking about fermenting the ciderkin after they've remade it. I don't have a fruit press so I was thinking this might be a way around it. I guess I could also ask him to make ciderkin for me, but I thought this might be an easier and cheaper way. Do you think I'm wasting my time trying to make something drinkable out of this? Thanks for any input you have :D

Sounds very interesting. Why not give it a shot - let us know how it turns out. Photos are welcome too!

Latest posts

Back