Where do you get your supplies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing kit beer's right now but I'm looking to start following some recipe's out of a couple of different books I have and I wanted to know what you guys do for supplies.

Where do you get your supplies?

Do you buy in bulk or just on an as needed basis?

Any other tips that you can think of?

Thanks! CP

I generally by my extract recipes from Austin homebrew Supply. Whatever I can afford a the time. 1 or two batches. I have never bought in bulk simply because or storage space. Also, I know if I order it, it is pretty much going to be as fresh as possible from AHS.

One positive.......if you keep a shopping list, the shipping is only $6.95. Quite frankly, that is why I use AHS from out of state.

Good Day

I live about 6 miles from Midwest. It's a blessing and a curse. I can drive there whenever I need something, but that's inherently the problem. ;)

Northernbrewer - for most everything. If I am in a pinch, I will head to Belmount (4 blocks from my house), or Main Squeez out in Yellow Springs (Stop by Dave Chappell house for drinks, kidding).

I buy at my LHBS

I do not buy in bulk, typically just for the batch or batches I plan on brewing within the week.

Getting ready to go AG then I will start buying in bulk.

I like to buy my grains in bulk through a local club that sets up bulk purchases. It can save you a lot of money if you can find one that does the same. Yeast and other supplies I will get at my LHBS or if they are out I will order from Northern Brewer or Austin Homebrew.

:mug:

Personally, I prefer to buy locally whenever possible. I live about 5 miles from one homebrew shop and 10 miles from another, so I can choose where to buy my stuff. I don't buy in bulk because I don't have the storage space...and besides, when I'm within a half hour drive from a shop, I don't have to think ahead to order what I need.

What can I say? I'm one of the fortunate ones. :)

My bank account...not so fortunate.

I'm lucky in that I have a truly excellent lhbs near me. If there's something I need that he doesn't have I'll check Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew.

As an extract brewer I would suggest not buying in bulk, you just won't go through it fast enough. I put together my recipe and then order just the amounts I need for it. Most of the online shops will mill the grain for you too.

I live very close to DeFalco's, a great LHBS and not a bad spot for mail order, so that's where I do nearly all my shopping. I do tend to buy hops in bulk, though.

TL

I try to buy as much of the regular ingredients and supplies I use as possible from my LHBS. I use any number of the online retailers if I need something wierd that the LHBS doesn't carry.

I used to buy in bulk from Midwest. Hands down, the best prices...even beating the discounted shipping places.

Now I buy in on a local coop bulk order. $29.00 sacks of MO and shipping is like $2-$3 since there are twenty or more of us sharing a pallet.

We even coordinate half sack. I have a half sack of munich and vienna on their way for about $18-$20 each.

i have a difficult time even coming close to ordering online - unless my LHBS goes out of business.

I think all homebrewers should buy from their local homebrew shop - they rely on our small community to survive, so why not support them? I also like the fact that i can call or go into the store ask a stupid question and get a an honest answer. If he doesn't have something - he gets it. Typically the personal advice is well work the few extra cents for trying to save a buck or two. Also when I walk into the store we know each other; which is yet another reason. I do get a discount for being a frequent shopper on large purchases.

Can't beat it - so my advice is that if you have a local homebrew store - patronize it; support it. Especially now we are in a sluggish economy in many parts of the country; thier survival will depend on the support.
:mug:

I go to my LHBS. They're friendly, knowledgable, and the prices are extremely reasonable. Plus, no shipping costs, and they're only 3 miles from where I live.

Back