Rice and honey beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
Hey, I made up a cheap recipe with some items I already had in the kitchen hoping to come up with something lite for friends. Now I'm thinking it might not have been such a good idea. At bottling it tasted a bit hot. Maybe to much sugars. Well here's my recipe, maybe some input on why these ingredients did not do well together.

8#2row
1#caramel20l
1#minute rice
3/4#clover honey
1oz EKG at 60min
.5oz at 30 min
.5oz at 10 min with the honey
Nottingham yeast

O.G. 1.060
F.G. 1.008

Any comments, good, bad, or ugly?

It fermented way down, so there may be nothing to it to balance the "Hotness" you might want to taste it and if it is watery/alcoholish, you can try adding some maltodextrine at bottling time if you don't want to wait to drink it. If you have the patience to let it sit for a while, the hotness should mellow out after a few weeks/months....

With that many adjuncts I hope you fermented on the low side of the ale range, like 62F or so. If you did, the hot flavors will probably age out. I would try that recipe with a good lager yeast if you have the means to do it, it would probably be pretty nice after a month or so at 45F.

It fermented at a constant 70F. Which I thought was good. Are you saying with all the simple sugars there will be more off flavors? I had to work hard to keep it down to 70.

The simple sugars and higher fermentation temperatures combined will give you some "off" flavors. Also remember, just because the room is at 70 doesn't mean your fermentation is taking place at 70+ those yeasties get hot as they reproduce and add 5 to 10 degrees to your fermentation temperature.

Back