which hops for my porter/stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apshaffer

Reaction score
I have 2 objectives...
1) make a porter or a stout and,
2) Get rid of some of the hops I have on hand

I have Cascade, Centennial, Bravo and Glacier hops in the freezer. I have several ounces of each. I have never used any of these in anything but pales, IPA, and ambers.

Any thoughts?

I say just focus on the AAUs and use whatever you got. Porters and stouts arent supposed to be very heavy on the hop flavor anyways.
that said, i brewed a stout recipe that i knew i liked last year and dry hopped it with a healthy amount of cascade pellets (leftovers). it was fantastic!

Doesnt really matter all too much, you are looking for bittering for the most part only so pick the one with the highest AA and add enough at 60 minutes to get to your desired bitterness. I would guess that would be the Bravo or Centennial, but I might be wrong.

I always though the citrus notes of cascade hops would be an AWFUL addition to a roasty, chocolaty stout.

Until I tried Starr Hill's Cryptical dry hopped imperial stout. Albeit it was simcoe and CENTENNIAL, but same logic! It was an awesome beer and changed my misplaced judgments.

However I am still in love with willamette for stouts, but am trying to get myself to branch out a bit!

I didn't think it would matter much which hop I used. I just didn't want any citrus flavors to come through. But with all that roasty-ness, it would take a lot of hops for the citrus to show up.

It's interesting that Rouge uses Cascade in Shakespeare Stout. I would not have thought that.

I'll probably use Centennial because I have a lot. Thanks for the input.

I have a pound of untouched Bravo that I want to start using up. Never used these before. Online descriptions sound great (orange-citrus, vanilla, floral), but mixed reviews from brewers: some love, others hate.

Anyway, I think I see a wheat beer in the future, maybe Bravo and Sterling to bring out the orange character. But I fancy a stout or porter next and I'm wondering if Bravo will work as a single hop. Anyone tried these in a dark roasty beer as a late addition? I'm thinking no more than 1-2 ounces end of boil, then maybe a small dry hop.

What's worked for me (realize this is a resurrection of a very old thread):
porter - willamette; oatmeal stout - EKG; imperial stout - northern brewer

Well, I ended up adding two ounces of Bravo late in the boil. I know it doesn't mean much at this stage, but the aroma coming off the airlock is fantastic. Also surprisingly strong considering the lower hopping rate.

Back