Fuggles and Willamette in same recipe - good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo67

Reaction score
I'm working on a northern English brown ale recipe and I have some Fuggles and Willamette hops in the fridge. Is it a good idea to use both (for armoa in this case), or are they too similar to use in the same recipe.

And if you think I should swap one of them out, any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's the recipe:

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1/2 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)

1 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

1 pkg London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028)

They're very similar hops (I don't really care for them). Either one would give you a smoother bitterness than the Cascade, so I'd move the Willamette to 60, kill the Cascade and brew away. English browns aren't really known for their hoppiness, so I don't think you'll be missing anything.

Agreed on ditching the Cascade.
I don't really like the sort of dank, earthy aroma/taste from fuggles, but I think it'd work OK as a bittering agent.
Willamette seems brighter, more floral/fruity than fuggles, and if it was my recipe, I'd use it as the only hop.
I also think the willamette would go nicely with the 1028 yeast, which can be a bit fruity.

Thanks for the great responses. I'm pretty confident working with grains, but the hops side of things still seem like a bit of a black art.

What I've decided to do is to use 1 oz of Fuggles for bittering at 60 minutes and 1.5 oz Willamette near the end of the boil, say 10 minutes or so for aroma/flavor.

Now I can't wait to brew this beer.

Back