Does whirlfloc affect spices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweRN

Reaction score
It sounds like it doesn't, but does whirlfloc affect the use of spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and the like?

cheers.

I don't think it would have much of an affect on the spices. I'm not a chemist, but I know whirlfloc coagulates with positively charged proteins (break material). As long as the spices you are using aren't "proteins" then I think you'd be fine.

I'm making 1 gallon test batches of a holiday spiced ale so I can have a good flavor ready for the fall.

breweRN said:
I'm making 1 gallon test batches of a holiday spiced ale so I can have a good flavor ready for the fall.

If you have time, make two--one with whirlfloc and one without--and let us know!

I also had this same thought once. Like everyone said, whirlfloc is not supposed to affect spices and such.

That being said, if I were using spices as kettle additions, I wouldn't use whirlfloc. If I were using spices in secondary- like when dry hopping- I would.

I know, there is no science or proof for this whatsoever.

My thinking is that if I want spices to come through in my beer, it is more important than acheiving a perfectly brilliant beer. Sort of a ,"just in case it does" kind of thing. No harm at all if I'm completely wrong.

Many spiced beers aren't brilliantly clear anyway....

Pez.

EDIT, I'm not a huge fan of spiced beers, but I do enjoy a lightly spiced winter ale.

Back