Porter ReVisited

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
Alright so the second recipe we ever made was a Porter (first one we created). It was really good everyone liked it. Well we took a wrong turn and got into All Grain, lol... I have been tasked with revisiting the Porter. Since it never turns out the same twice i decided to change it up. Let me know how this looks.

10 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs Munich
.75 lbs Chocolate
.75 lbs Victory
.50 lbs Aromatic
.50 lbs Biscuit
.50 lbs Crystal 80L (or 90)
.50 lbs Special B
(15 lbs Total)

Mashed for 60-90 minutes 152*F, Sparged with 170*F. At 1.5 qts each lb that gives me 5.5 gallons of water for mashing and about 8.5 gallons sparge. (Batch Sparging).

As for the boil 60 minutes, 1.25 oz Fuggles at 60, 1.25 Fuggles at 15, and 1 oz E.K. Goldings at flame out.

Estimated SG 1.079 (at 75% efficiency)
SRM: 32.2
IBU's: 30.9
London Ale Yeast III (WYeast 1318)
------------------------

What i am wondering is if my grains look ok, and if i have the mash and sparge water measurements correct. I left the efficiency on promash at 75% because this is the first All Grain and I really don't know what kind of efficiency we'll get, of course hoping for more.
Because this seemed to be the most popular beer we're also probably going to make it a double batch. Anything special I need to know for doubling it besides double everything?

Grains look intense, this is gonna be a complex beer. Looks VERY tasty to me though and I may have to try it... although I don't have any biscut or victory on hand.

Thanks for the positive comment...

Several things lacked the first time... Aroma and more complex flavors... I like beers that taste great but have complex flavors. Last time it tasted like beer with some roasted flavor, with NO aroma... Hopefully both those will change for the better. Should be getting the ingredients tuesday and brewing sometime at the end of the week.

Definitely keep this recipe updated, I think the flameout addition of Goldings will work wonders for the aroma. I also am an avid fan of complex flavors, the pumpkintastrophe in my sig turned out very complex and I'm about to brew a very wierd stout, grain bill will include special b, chocolate malt, munich, 2 crystals and a bunch of wheat and I will be brewing with a german weizen yeast at around 73 to get the banana/clove mix in. Could be disgusting but worth experimenting. I call it choconanner stout.

Latest posts

Back