aerate between primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenBeer

Reaction score
I am making a pretty high grav beer and was wondering if there is any benefit or negative benefit to aerating from the primary to the secondary. I know the transfer its self will have a little bit of air traveling with the beer in the tube but I have a venturi aerator that is suppose to be used for wine (to decant a single glass) and i was thinking about using this next time for the wort but like i said any reason to want to aerate some more when going to the secondary?

No, if you aerate once beer is produced you will oxydyze your beer and end up with wet cardboard. WIthin the first 12 hours of fermentation there is some benefit for extra o2, but not past that, and especially not when you are ready to secondary.

Besides the reason we add o2 is to help fermentation...but fermentation should be over befroe you even want to be bulk aging your BW.

after fermentation has gotten rolling, you do not want to expose the beer to oxygen anymore.

yeast need oxygen at the beginning so that they can reproduce and reach a critical mass in the fermenter. After that phase, they start eating sugar and doing the actual fermentation. The yeast has no need of oxygen anymore.

Back