Pliny clone, skip sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalobrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed the Pliny clone today with the Farmhouse hop pack (that's a lot of hops!) and hit my OG without the dextrose so I skipped it. I didn't think that would affect the flavor much, and if it did it would just have a touch more malt flavor. It was 5% of the fermentables. Will I miss it?

Lousy brew day by the way. I think I caught a stomach bug and had to take a break from brewing to pray to the porcelain goddess (haven't done that in a decade....)

Well the dextrose or sugar will not add more malt flavor. In Imperial IPA's it is important to attenuate the beer high. and have a low final gravity. This makes a dry finish..which is important in the style. Did you brew this all grain or extract? If all grain I like to mash at 149 and than skip adding sugar..however with malt extract your final gravity would be high..but if you are extract im surprised you hit your gravity with out the sugar..long answer but in the end it will not hurt one bit and will make a nice beer. Next time use a bit less malt extract and add the sugar to keep your gravity low.

Hope that helps.
Jay

I don't think it will make a huge difference, it most likely won't attenuate as much and be as dry as Pliny. But I'm sure it will make a damn fine beer. What was your mash temp?

Mash started out at 154 and ended at 150. Never had Pliny, so I won't have anything to compare it to. It has a nice krauzen going in the fermenter. Looking forward to tasting this one!

Back