Explosive RIS, Nasty Clean Up and Stuck Feremetation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
I've been searching the forums for a while now and haven't found the same problem I have on my hands.

On May 24, I made a RIS. My OG was 1.135. Yikes!

I split my 5 gallons into two 5 gallon better bottles and about a half of a gallon into a 1 gallon jug (which I diluted with water to see what RIS jr. would come out like). I oxygenated with an O2 stone for a few minutes.

On May 25, I had brown foam everywhere. My basement was a foamy, sticky mess. I tried to take pictures but my camera was acting up. I cleaned up and put the airlocks back on. I figured I had enough head space, what a moron. Next time I'll use a blowoff.

On May 31 and June 1, I've had no fermentation activity and I'm stuck at 1.060. I used some harvested Pacman yeast and made a huge starter. It fermented at 63* F.

Questions:

1. Why am I such a moron?
2. I'm thinking I blew off a ton of yeast and it didn't attenuate? What can I do? I'm looking at a 9% + beer with a lot of more sugar to eat. Hmmm...

Some threads say stir it up and get the Better Bottle to a warmer place. Some threads say get a ton of highly active starter to it. What works for you.

Thanks!

I'd say new starter, decant pitch and watch the gravity drop. I had the same issue back in feb with the same recipe. Only I didn't have a clean up issue and I was stuck much lower. Yours seems easier to take care of mine was stuck at 1.040 and like 12% so I pitched a 2L starter of wlp099 to finish it up after it warmed up a bit.

I'd say new starter, decant pitch and watch the gravity drop. I had the same issue back in feb with the same recipe. Only I didn't have a clean up issue and I was stuck much lower. Yours seems easier to take care of mine was stuck at 1.040 and like 12% so I pitched a 2L starter of wlp099 to finish it up after it warmed up a bit.

Thanks. What did you wind up with, FG wise?

Answers
1) cause you were having to much fun.

2) Wait another week or 2, my Imperial Red takes 2-3weeks to ferment. it usually slows down after 7-10 days, but will keep bubbling for another week. i then rack it to a secondary and let it condition/dry hop for 3-4 weeks. by the end of that time it usually has dropped a few more points.

Back