rose hip Metheglin 1 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Im getting the ingredients this weekend for a medium rose hip methogyln

I have a gallon + jug

I have on order some champagne yeast and some yeast nutrient.
I'm getting 1/4 cup of rose hips and 48 oz of honey using 40 oz at 11 fl per pound per a honey site i found.

am I going to blow the top in a 1 gallon + jug?

I'd like to make this sparkling>>> suggestions>?

I made 5 gallons of kiwi mead once before and had a yeast bite from leaving on primary yeast too long...

Planning on making a rose hip tea 1/4 cup to 1 cup water and bringing the 40 oz of honey and water (128 oz total) to 140° to pasturize.

1 tsp of yeast nutirent to the gallon>

how long before bottle and how much honey or prime sugar to get sparkling medium bottled mead?

in gallon + jug... bubbling along nicely. did reach bubbler... switched to a blow off in a water filled big wine bottle for 3 days... settled down nicely... still going... more to come

all fermentation stopped and it is crystal clear in 1 gallon jug.

may go into bottles this week.

expecting 14%+ ABV and will go sparkling with about an ounce of corn sugar per gallon

OG was 1.133!

haven't checked gravity yet. got excited when I saw how clear it had gotten!
I can wait... my last kiwi mead I did several years ago had a pronounced yeast bite from sitting on primary yeast too long (6 months+)

Have a bottling session scheduled for this weekend so I figured while I was racking...

What's the minimum I should wait before going to bottle? 2 months? 3 months?

How long to bottle condition? another 3-6 months? going sparkling this time...

Back