AG Advice, using Brew Magic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesrm

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Was brewing a few batches this weekend, and couldn't locate my manual and it had been awhile, so I used a few batch sparging methods to lauter. Can you evaulate what I did and help me refine to get the best efficiency?

Batch #1- 10 gal, Edwarts Haus Ale
16lb 2 Row Rorh
4lb Vienna
1lb Crystal 10
2oz Mt. Hood
1oz " "
.5oz " "
.5oz " "
*Used the Mt.Hood as my LHBS didn't have any whole leaf Cascade, and it was 6.7 where the recipie called for 6.6.

Method: Added 7 gal of water for dough in, but I way missed my temp and had to bring it up about 20-30 degrees to get to a set temp of 150. After reaching 150, I kept it at 150 while letting the RIMS system do its recirculation bit. After 60 min at 150, added 10 qts water at around 175 and dumped to boil kettle. Filled up with 26 qts @ 175, allowed to recirc about 15 minutes (checked, didnt notice any change in brix), and dumped to brew kettle.

Would up with 11.5g in boiler, boiled down to 10.5, final grav reading 1.048, my efficancy reading was 66.44

2nd batch: Honkers Ale Clone (been trying to perfect this one, its REALLY good)
9lbs Pale 2 row
.5 lbs Crystal 40
.5 Caramunich I
1oz Northern Brewer
.5 oz Cascade
1oz Cascade

This time, added 12.5q for mash, hit the temp right on the head at 155 (Normally calls for 152, but wanted to see how it made a difference in taste). After 60 min at 155, added 5 g of water at 155, allowed to recirc a few minutes, then right to boil kettle.

Finished with 5.5g @ 1.051 , calculated efficency 77.43

In your opinions, what could I have done to better these two batches? I am not too good at the "sabco shuffle" yet, so like batch sparging rather than trying to hit the nail on the head with drawing water out of my HLT to replace what is being sparged off.

:mug:

Well you're actually doing a "no sparge". If you want to do a true batch sparge, drain off the mash water into the kettle first. Then infuse your sparge water into the grainbed and stir it well, recirculate for 5 minutes, then drain that off to the boil kettle.

Back